Revelation

Kaise bataye ki tujhko chache

Yaara bata na paaye. 

Baate dilo ki, dekho jo baaki,

Aake tujhe samjhaye.

Tu jaane na, tu jaane na.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Location: The garden behind Princess Subhadra's chambers. Arjun lies awake in his cottage. 

Now that he was here, what would he do? How would he win Subhadra's heart? It was difficult to know exactly what was in a lady's heart, Arjun knew from his experience with Panchali. Then came the real problem.

As Subhadra began spending time by the ascetic's side, listening to his tales of the dangers of the Aryavart, she grew more and more captivated by him. Was she developing feelings for him?

He was ascetic, a likely celibate. Her mind was playing tricks on her. What did she know about love?

It was a feeling that made her heart flutter every time he smiled, it was a feeling that filled her with warmth and when she was in his company-she felt complete. Like she had found a missing piece of herself. 

It didn't take Arjun long to realise that Subhadra saw past all his skills and achievements and saw him as a person- when he was disguised, nobody saw a warrior, they only saw a fellow human being. And Subhadra, with her gentle nature and levelheadedness, appreciated him for who he was. Those times he spent with her, when he wasn't the mighty Gandiv-dhaari, nor a Pandav, nor a Kshatriya-the times when he was simply Arjun. 

Weeks went by. Either of them were aware of each others presence. Neither of them could shake off the fact that she was marrying someone else. One day, she poured out all her sorrows to the mysterious ascetic in hope for some sort of guidance.

"I can't let my family down." she sighed with resignation. "But I can't marry someone, knowing the wrongs."

Arjun listened intently, his heart aching to be able to hold her hand in his, assure her that everything would be alright. But he couldn't, and she really tested his self control sometimes.

"Rishivar, I can't run away from my duty to my people."

He understood exactly how she felt; people expect something of you, and to keep yourself within those boundaries is often the hardest for a person to do. He knew that her sense of duty and honour was as strong as his own, and he admired her even more for it. But he also knew that she deserved happiness, not a life of sacrifice and sorrow.

"Rajkumari," he said softly, looking straight at her. "Sometimes while walking the path of righteousness we must also realise that it should align with your choices as a person."

Subhadra felt as if he was looking into the deepest parts of her soul. She forced herself to look away from him. Her eyes grew moist and she blinked her gathering tears away. Arjun's heart ached at her despair, he wished he could just tell her that no matter what he'd always be there. Subhadra knew; if her gaze lingered long enough, she might just fall in love. 

And that couldn't happen in her circumstances. Her wedding was day after tomorrow, with no indication from Krishna whatsoever as to how long was she going to play all nice with Hastinapur. She knew that if she waited too long, it would be too late to do anything and her fate would forever be sealed with Duryodhan. And the sealing of her fate meant the Aryavart's fate would also be sealed with the same bonds of matrimony.

Something in her snapped. Suddenly she stood up, much to the surprise of Arjun. Without another word, she left. She left the palace without a single maid or attendant with her. Arjun grew worried. He couldn't even go after her himself. He looked up at the night sky, seeing the monsoon clouds gather above the city of Dwarka.