The King of Magadh

Location: The royal court of Indraprasth. Maharaj Yudhishthir talks to his courtiers of the matters regarding Indraprasth's freedom.

The discussion between courtiers calmed as Yudhishthir spoke. "Panchali, what do you suggest we should do in order to gain independence quickly?"

The Pandav Queen, ever so wise and calculated, thought for a moment. "We have thought of the friendlier kingdoms but what of mighty emperors who may not want to come under us?"

"Well then we'll have to fight them." Bheem said simply.

"Fighting....seems plausible." one of the courtiers said. "But as long as we can go without it we should, Maharaj."

"I agree." Nakul said. "We want our relations to be based on mutual respect not on the fear that we will vanquish them."

"Maharaj." an attendant entered, bowing to the royals present. "Dwarkadheesh has arrived as per your request. He waits outside the palace."

"Bhratashree is here?" Subhadra exclaimed, almost jumping up with excitement. 

"Yes, Subhadra." Yudhishthir smiled. "Why don't you escort him here, and get in a word or two while you walk, hmm?"

Subhadra nodded gratefully, smiling. She left her seat and practically ran outside to receive her brother. There he was, still standing on his chariot. He was always majestic, with his saffron and golden yellow robes, his peacock feather dancing proudly atop his crown. And that charming smile, always reserved for only his closest.

"Bhratashree!" she exclaimed, running towards him. She reached down and touched his feet. Krishna in turn, embraced her, holding her close.

"Subhadre," he sighed. "Life without you is torture."

"Don't say that," she pouted. "You're tempting me to come back."

Krishna laughed softly, a sound that always brought warmth to Subhadra's heart. "The palace is not the same without your laughter and presence," he said, his eyes twinkling with affection.

Subhadra smiled, her eyes misting over. "I miss you too, Bhrata. But I am happy here with my family."

"I heard you won my Sakhi's heart over." Krishna grinned. "I knew you could."

"Jiji and I....we share a unique bond. It's like something I've never experienced before." she said.

"You were meant to be each other's support." Krishna smiled. "Now come along, I'm supposed to be seeing Bhrata Yudhishthir today, they need my guidance."

"Bhrata, we will get independence won't we?" Subhadra asked him, while she escorted him down the palace corridors to the courtroom.

"Of course you will." Krishna chuckled. "As long as you follow Dharma."

They reached the courtroom, and the siblings walked inside. Everyone rose to greet Krishna. Arjun embraced Krishna, and Krishna murmured- "I knew she'd be happy with you." to which Arjun smiled.

"Govind, you only come to see your sister and your best friend." Draupadi chided. "You never come to see me."

"Sakhi, of course I come to see you." Krishna smiled. "These two just demand more of my attention. I'll always be there for you, remember?"

Draupadi smiled, nodding. They sat back down and discussed their strategy with Krishna. Slowly they began marking the kings that would form alliances with them on a map in the centre. The only kingdom left out was one in the corner.

"Magadh." Krishna murmured. "We'll have to do something about that."

Subhadra stiffened. It was common news that Jarasandh, the king of Magadh was a formidable enemy. Ever since his daughters; her uncle Kans' wives were widowed, he had pledged to uproot the very foundations of Dwarka. Tried many times to do so, but her brothers always managed to avert his attacks.