Krishna's Ploy

Dekha tenu pehli pehli baar ve

Hone laga dil bekaraar ve

Rabba mainu ki ho gaya

Dil jaaniye, haye mainu ki ho gaya

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Location: The temple of Mahadev, the city of Dwarka. Arjun in his disguise sits with the other sages in penance. Krishna arrives with Shakuni, Duryodhan, and Balram in tow.

"It is good if you learn about our customs since you will be marrying our princess in a few months, Rajkumar." Krishna chuckled, coming up the steps to the temple. "Lord Shiva has been a constant part of her life."

"Yes, of course. Putra Duryodhan will make sure Rajkumari feels right at home." Shakuni said, a sly smile on his face. "I was thinking, we get the marriage date shifted up a bit?" Arjun's ears perked up at this information.

"What for Gandhar-raj?" Krishna exclaimed, well aware of his antics. "Subhadra is the daughter of this kingdom, it is the only shot we have of a grand wedding, and look at him Bhrata Balram, he wishes us to move the date further up?"

"Kanha is right, it seems you have quite the rush to take our sister away from us." Balram said, humouring them.

"No, no." Shakuni chuckled. "Of course not."

While they were returning to the palace, Krishna lingered for a moment longer as Balram bade goodbye to Shakuni and Duryodhan. 

"Dau," Krishna said a bit loudly, trying to get his brother's attention. "You know what I was thinking, we should get Subhadra to perform penance as well."

"Penance?" Balram chuckled. "When will she do penance, and what for?"

"Oh, you know, for a happily married life," Krishna said, glancing sideways at Arjun. "She's always low thesedays, maybe some good spiritual connection might help?"

"Kanha," Balram scoffed. "So what shall I do? Drop her here and have her stand on one leg in front of the idol?"

"Bhrata, there are other ways of earning punya." Krishna smiled, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. "You remember how Aunt Kunti served Rishi Durvasa and did her penance and earnt punya?"

Balram looked thoughtful. "Yes, of course. That was because Rishi Durvasa happened to arrive to her kingdom at the time."

"We have some good sages here," Krishna said, turning to the sages sitting there at the temple. "Actually, one recently arrived here yesterday to complete some extreme penance."

"Hmm?" Balram said. "Where?"

"He's right.....there." Krishna said, motioning to where Arjun was sitting, his heart beating a million miles per hour. "I could ask him whether he'd like to come to the palace."

"Yes, go ahead." Balram approved.

Krishna walked towards Arjun and leaned down, so that only he could hear. Arjun opened his eyes just by a fraction. "Rishivar," Krishna said coyly, "Would you like to come to our palace so that our princess can perform her penance by supporting your penance?"

"Uh...um, yes, of course." Arjun smiled. Krishna nudged his arm and Arjun glared at him. What was Madhav doing?

"See!" Krishna said excitedly. "He'd love-I mean he graciously accepts."

Balram turned to Arjun. "Rishivar, we will be glad if you accompanied us to the palace." Arjun simply nodded and began following them.

----------------------------------