Its all in the Eyes

Jab Se Tere Naina Mere Naino Se Laage Re
Tabse Deewaana Hua, Sabse Begana hua
Rab Bhi Deewaana Laage Re
Jab Se Tere Naina Mere Naino Se Laage Re

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The light streamed into her room, bathing Subhadra in sunlight. Today was a good day, yet her mind was in shambles. The wedding day was growing near, and till yet there had been no development as to what will happen. She had placed her blind faith in Krishna, and there he was enjoying himself, not a single worry crease on his face, completely oblivious to the stress she was under.

The city of Dwarka was alight with festivities for the Raivata Festival. It was the grandest and most epic festival of the spring. It was Subhadra's favourite time of the year, yet she was too preoccupied to enjoy it. Villagers and royals alike took part in the festival, the city was decorated, the children were out on the streets dancing without a care in the world, the aroma of delicious food wafting from every household.

Subhadra watched from a balcony, her heart heavy with the burden of the recent encounters and the weight of future uncertainties. She could see the joy on the faces of her people, their worries cast aside for this time celebration. The sound of laughter and music filled the air, but it barely touched her troubled mind. She looked towards the Raivata mountain, where she would go during the stipulated time, to pray and enjoy herself.

"Why so solemn on such a joyous occasion?" a hand fell on her shoulder. Subhadra turned to see her sister-in-law Satyabhama, one of her brother Krishna's other wives. She had grown close to most of them, judging that there were around 116 of them in the first place.

She smiled, "Nothing, bhabhi." she said, shrugging her worries away for the sake of the festival and her family, joining Satyabhama as she took her to get dressed for the puja atop the mountain.

While she was getting dressed, Mata Devaki walked in with the plate she would use for the puja. She glanced at Subhadra and smiled. "Putri, you look beautiful." she said, her hands on Subhadra's shoulders. "Sometimes I wish you were my daughter, so I could see myself in you. That feeling is long gone because I see more of myself in you than you do."

Subhadra placed a hand on Devaki's, who continued, "This palace will be so empty without you."

"Mata," Subhadra turned to face her. "Please don't say that, or else I won't leave."

"Every daughter has to leave her father's house one day." Devaki sighed. "I'm just glad you seem to have seen sense, and are marrying Prince Duryodhan. Queen Gandhari is extremely happy."

Subhadra looked downwards, unable to meet Devaki's eyes. Devaki did not seem to make much of it, and took her hand to take her outside. 

Not far away from Dwarka, a young ascetic made his way along the footpath. His eyes strained when the sun glared into them; he blinked twice. Up ahead he could see the golden city of Dwarka, the dwelling place of his beloved friend. Dwarka was alive with glorious fervour, he noticed as he trudged over to some shade on this warm day. Even the sun was showering its grace on the people today. It was a wonderful time to visit, it seemed, the trees grew blossoms, the harvests were done, and the children ran around like free birds.

Arjun reached the temple of Mahadev, where he would be spending the remaining few months of his exile. He approached an old sage seated on the floor of the temple, and touched his feet. 

"Pranam, rishivar." he said, and the sage opened his eyes. "I plan on completing my remaining penance over here, in the land of Lord Krishna. Could I get some water?"

"Here, son." the old sage passed him an earthen pot. "Make yourself at home, surrender your worries to Mahadev."

Arjun stepped inside the temple, the divinity of Mahadev spreading through him like never before. He bowed his head in front of the idol, placing a flower at the base.