Chapter 26

The night that remained was a sleepless one. We held each other close as if someone would snatch one of us away at any moment. He stroked my hair and whispered soft sweet things in my ear for comfort but I could tell he was scared too.

I joined Dutch, Hosea, Arthur and John around a wooden circular table in camp. Jack was a priority but we could had to have a plan first.

Sean's death was not just a tragedy, it was a brutal message that although we were strong together, we were all more venerable than ever. They would pick us off one by one until nothing remained. Nobody was safe.

"I don't expect you to understand this but I have never been more proud of you than I am right now, brother." Dutch said to a frowning John. It seemed like he had not slept much either. "You're doing the right thing."

"If I don't get that boy back safe, I'm... She- She'll kill us all!" I had never seen John so scared before, he'd be crazy if he wasn't. That was his son.

"I don't think anyone would take a boy to harm him, I think they did it to scare us." I rested my head on my hand, staring at the table deep in thought.

"I agree." Hosea nodded. "What do you think Arthur?"

"The boy will be fine but of course Marston's scared rotten." He had his leg up on a barrel, his arms resting on his knee. "We killed all those people, stirred up all that trouble, for nothing."

"No." Dutch frowned and shook his head. "Not for nothing. For living. We'll get that boy back. Trust me."

"Hey Dutch!" Lenny called. "We got a problem."

I whipped my head around to see two agents walking in, Lenny was holding them at gun point. My hand instinctively went to the pistol on my hip. Rufus, who was sat next to me was now stood up and growling at the men. His back arched and the hairs on his neck standing on end. He had become quite a good guard dog.

"Not a problem, a solution." The bald man in a bowler hat began, giving Rufus a wary look. "Good day fine people. Mr Van Der Linde, Mr Matthews I presume..." John stood up with his hand on his pistol and the agent looked over at him. "and who are you?"

"Rip Van Winkle."

"Huh...good day sir. Agent Milton, Pinkerton detective agency. Agent Ross." He introduced them and Arthur stepped forward defensively. "Ah Mr Morgan, pleasure to see you again."

"And to what do we owe the pleasure?" Dutch asked coldly. "Agent moron?"

Everyone had now circled Agent Ross and Milton. "I don't know if you're aware but this is a civilised land now. We didn't kill all those savages for the likes of you  to act like human dignity and basic decency was not yet invented. This thing, it's done."

Dutch stood up, his expression cold as stone. "This place ain't no such thing as civilised. It's man so in love with greed that he has forgotten himself and found only appetite."

"You ain't anything more than a killer Mr Van Der Linde." Agent Milton replied. "But I came to make a deal. You come with me and I'll give the rest of you three days to run off, disappear and go and live like human beings someplace else."

"You came for me? Risked life and limb in this den of low lives and murderers so that they might live and love? Well ain't that fine." Dutch chuckled.

"I don't want to kill all these folk Dutch. Just you." Milton stated, staring coldly at Dutch.

"Well in that case..." Dutch held his hands up in surrender and my grip tightened on my pistol. "It would be my honour to join you. Excuse me friends, I have an appointment to keep."