chapter 50

MIA

damon watches me from behind as i try to walk as fast i can in my heels when leaving the restaurant. he shakes his head and laughs to himself a little but not in a joyful manner, more in annoyance.

it's like we can't even have a decent day together, there's always something that bothers me. a part of me blames my overthinking.

"i changed, so whatever you're doing won't matter anymore."

"what am i doing?" attitude in my voice.

"you're trying to find a problem," he's calm and sure as hell right. "just let it go."

"why don't you tell me anything?" my voice breaks.

"i regret my decisions mia and i don't want to have to fucking relive it by telling you about it," he comes around and holds my face but i only move away.

he accepts my rejected gesture "i want to be perfect for you and in order for that we need to move past this."

he doesn't take his eyes off mine. "do you trust me?"

i swallow "i do," my voice soft.

he then pulls me in for a hug and kisses the top of my head.

"you have nothing to hide from me right?" i look up at him.

damon pauses and watches me, "why don't we go to the party?"

"you didn't want to go?" i slowly say.

"and you said you trusted me."

i look away from his intense gaze.

i feel a bit embarrassed because i literally just lied to him. i don't think i do trust him a hundred percent of the time and trust is huge in relationships, maybe going to meet and see the people he was around while we weren't together is the reassurance i need.

deep down i have this feeling he might be seeing someone else, but on the other hand it might just be my overthinking.

i know damon wouldn't do that to me, especially now that he has changed so much. it's his town of course people are going to come up and talk to him, i now feel ridiculous.

the ride was shorter when we were on our way back home. my eyes are tired and i feel a sense of relief now that we can spend a quiet night together, especially considering almost the whole day was pretty far from quiet.

when we get into the house, it's maybe too quiet for my liking.

damon finds a note on the little table next to the front door. he flips it around, and reads it in his head.

i take a look at it and it's in charles' writing.

i read the letter but it's so simple and short there's not much to explain further.

we have left the country, see you soon.

damon doesn't seem to be surprised, as he walks towards the bedroom door.

"olivia never mentioned they were going on a trip?" i say to damon.

"that's because they never planned it."

"seems a bit odd to me."

"have you met charles?" he grins at me.

"do you think he will be okay?"

damon's smile fades as he zones out, eyes focused onto the floor. "i don't know," i barely hear him say.