chapter 52

MIA

i start to believe my mind isn't there and it's no where to be found, or maybe i have just lost it that i feel so out of touch, and unresponsive to my surroundings.

cynthia doesn't say anything the whole car ride and i like that about her, she knows i need space and don't feel like talking about it because if i had i would have told her already.

i'm just very thankful that we all exchanged numbers. i originally called aisha first but she hasn't responded to my call, so i decided to call cynthia, she was out driving and wasn't far from where i was. i walked away from charles' house as fast as i could, i just couldn't stay around there any longer.

cynthia plays around with her radio, accidentally dropping most of her cd's placed under. she turns some melodic tunes from her retro red convertible car, to drown the empty thoughts between us. a beautiful french song by francoise hardy starts to play from her playlist.

she blows out a smoke, tapping the ash off of her cigarette and passes it to me, "well take it." she grows impatient.

i slowly take it out between her fingers and observe it. she smirks looking at me, and back to the road.

i pout my lips only putting nearly the tip of the cigarette to my mouth, sucking into it. my throat turns hot and itchy while feeling a slight of burntness in my chest making me cough but i try to hide it subtly so she doesn't notice and when she does, cynthia contagiously laughs pushing her head back.

i creep up a laugh and take another hit, resting my head back onto the leather seats. i close my eyes as the smoke rises over my head, steeping down into my nose while the wind gusts pass through. i open my eyes and look at the blue bright sky, filled with tiny clouds taking up small sections and forming shapes.

i feel a sense of calmness around cynthia.

when cynthia pulls into her driveway i think to myself as if this driveway will never end. i am in awe of the sight of her mansion, it's absolutely gorgeous.

as soon as we step out of her car, her pomeranian jumps around her in excitement. she bends down, giving her pet attention. "you like puppies mia?"

i'm more of a cat person, i love kittens.

"who's this?" i kneel to pet her friendly puppy.

"bibi is her name."

"she's beautiful," i say picking bibi up, "and well behaved."

"she likes you."

when we get inside bibi jumps out of my arms and runs off through the hallways of the house. i follow cynthia up the marble staircase to her room.

as soon as we walk in aisha calls me, i answer her and she sounds apologetic. cynthia takes my phone and puts it on speaker, telling her we're at her place.

"i have nothing to wear," aisha whines through the phone as she drives to meet us. "i need that top you wore to that dinner."

"mia what will you wear?" cynthia asks.

"where are we going?" i have no idea what's going on.

"we're going out to a party, i forget her name whose hosting it," cynthia rolls her eyes.

aisha laughs, "didn't your brother date her for years? if it's her party we're definitely crashing."

"not trashy trish!" evelyn screams laughing "her name is like lyn or something, i cant remember."

"wait, you know trish?" i get curious, i mean it has to be the same girl.

"you know her?" cynthia raises her brows at me, judgementally.

yeah my boyfriend got her pregnant "no i've just been aware she used to be close to damon."

"she acts like she's this saint but really she's a skank mia." cynthia looks pissed.

"what did she do?" i look worried.

"she used to date my brother, for seven years." cynthia scoffs.

"not only that, she goes and lets some random she met within a week take her virginity after she told caden she was going to wait until they were married." aisha raises her voice.

"he was so heartbroken." cynthia gets up. "i am already getting so nauseous talking about it."

i feel terrible for cynthia's brother.