Chapter 14

After that night at the challenge arena, Yan Yan stayed away for two days. Guan Yuan's blows had been brutal, targeting his chest and abdomen. Although his limbs seemed fine on the surface, he felt the severity of his injuries once he returned.

"Aren't you going to the challenge arena anymore?" Ding Wuming asked curiously when he returned to the dormitory and saw Yan Yan resting on the bed.

Yan Yan, clutching his aching ribs, replied in a muffled voice, "I'll go again in a few days."

Ding Wuming examined his face carefully and understood. "I told you Guan Yuan is tough. Everyone on the ranking list hits hard."

"Yeah." Yan Yan responded absentmindedly, thinking about something else.

"By the way, you're famous on the forum now," Ding Wuming said excitedly. "They say you're the first person to be beaten by both Ji Yuezhi and Zuo Luohuan, and now you've fought Guan Yuan. People are guessing you might complete the set by facing all the top ten on the Red List."

"Complete what set?" Yan Yan asked, snapping back to attention.

Ding Wuming's eyes darted around. "Taking a beating from all the top ten on the Red ranking."

Yan Yan: "..."

Seeing his expression change, Ding Wuming quickly changed the topic. "I successfully joined the Discipline Office!"

Normally, Yan Yan had no interest in the Discipline Office, associating it with the dreaded point deductions. But today, he asked, "What are the benefits of joining the Discipline Office?"

That night, Zuo Luohuan had thrown him a crumpled invitation, saying there were two Discipline Offices and giving him seven days to decide, very nonchalantly. Yan Yan had searched the school forum afterward and found no trace of a second Discipline Office. All discussions were about the point-deducting one he already knew.

"Benefits?" Ding Wuming thought for a moment. "Well, joining the Discipline Office gives you prestige. Those who get in are the best in the First Military Academy. Plus, it provides a valuable network for when you join the military after graduation."

Yan Yan fell silent, sensing that the Discipline Office Zuo Luohuan mentioned was different from the one Ding Wuming was talking about.

"Are you thinking about joining the Discipline Office?" Ding Wuming asked, then added, "The selection is over for this year, but you can try next year."

"I don't want to join," Yan Yan quickly denied. "I'm just curious why so many people want to join, especially without any academic credit incentives."

Thinking about his meager 2 credits, Yan Yan felt even more dejected, teetering on the edge of expulsion.

"There are definitely no downsides to joining the Discipline Office," Ding Wuming said, quickly packing his things. "I have to go to my shift now."

As the dormitory door closed, Yan Yan sat on the edge of his bed for a while before pulling out the invitation. After staring at it for a long time, he finally signed his name.

He felt like he was walking into a den of wolves.

Yan Yan had one more class to attend. He carefully put on his uniform, making sure every button was in place, then left the dorm.

With only 2 credits, he couldn't afford to be reckless.

...

The solo combat course had several instructors. Zuo Luohuan and Jiang Hong had chosen S-level Alpha instructor Kang Guang, who had served ten years in the 78th Regiment of the 26th Army Group. He was one of the most popular instructors in the Combat Department.