Chapter 24

It was 3 AM, the most drowsy hour of the night, but an abandoned factory was anything but peaceful.

Two people approached from the southeast, one of whom had a pair of night-vision goggles from his backpack. Wearing them, he navigated the darkness with ease.

Suddenly, a shadow darted past from the west.

The two exchanged glances and instantly pursued the shadow.

The shadow moved at lightning speed, nearly undetectable in the dark. The one with the night-vision goggles whispered excitedly to his companion, "Right behind the pipes."

They split up, trying to block the shadow's path from different directions. But when they reached the pipes, there was no one there.

The one with the night-vision goggles was about to look up when the shadow dropped down from above, attacking him.

His companion instinctively moved to help, only to be taken down by another shadow from behind, who swiftly knocked him out.

Zuo Luohuan quickly searched the unconscious cadet, found the signal gun, and stuffed it into her backpack. She kicked the unconscious body aside and looked up at the other side, where Ji Yuezhi had also secured a signal gun.

"The main entrance group is coming in," Ji Yuezhi, now with a pair of night-vision goggles, informed her. He had just scanned the surroundings and noticed movement at the main entrance. He quickly pulled Zuo Luohuan into the shadows of the pipes.

They were pressed closely together. His pull had nearly torn her collar, and Zuo Luohuan glanced at her nearly ruined shirt before looking at Ji Yuezhi, who was intently watching the main entrance. She didn't mention it, instead focusing on the approaching group.

One, two... seven people.

An entire squad of seven, had they already formed prior to participate in the exercise?

Without night-vision goggles, Zuo Luohuan couldn't see who the seven were, but it didn't stop her from preparing to take them on.

"The two in the middle are the weakest, from the Weapons Development Department. The one at the front..." Ji Yuezhi turned to share his plan with Zuo Luohuan, only to realize their faces were nearly touching, and his hand was gripping her shirt.

"Go on," Zuo Luohuan whispered, watching the approaching group and tilting her head to listen to Ji Yuezhi.

Ji Yuezhi's grip loosened slightly. He quietly observed her profile, then placed the night-vision goggles on her eyes so she could see clearly. "I'll distract them. You follow and take them down."

"Let's try a different method," Zuo Luohuan suggested. "The one at the front is the fastest runner, and the one beside her is the fourth on the Red List, Fu Wenyue. If you draw them away, you'll be chased and surrounded."

"So, you need to be quick to back me up," Ji Yuezhi said suddenly.

"...What?" Zuo Luohuan didn't immediately understand, turning to look at him.

But Ji Yuezhi was focused on the approaching group. The remark seemed offhand, without deeper meaning.

"Alright," Zuo Luohuan agreed. "I'll be quick to find you."

With their plan set, Ji Yuezhi circled around, making a noise to draw the group's attention. They quickly pursued the sound.

Zuo Luohuan silently followed, taking out one opponent after another. When she reached the fourth-to-last person, Ji Yuezhi was also cornered. Seeing Fu Wenyue about to engage him, she intentionally made some noise while knocking out her target.