Chapter 29

The group rested for two hours at the fork before continuing their journey. Although the mountain on the right seemed close, it was still a considerable distance away, taking them an hour to reach the base.

As night deepened, the insects that had been chirping earlier fell silent, as if the forest had gone to sleep. The so-called mountain path began with a long slope, flanked by waist-high wild grass. The narrow path was cracked and looked like a spider web.

Ji Yuezhi continued to study the map, his gaze lingering on the mountain areas. When Jiang Hong and the others were ready to move, he put the map away and led the way.

The mountain path was rugged and narrow, with many cracks. Everyone proceeded cautiously, pushing through the wild grass at the entrance. Suddenly, a wild boar charged at them. Without needing any prompt, Yan Yan, who was at the front, reacted instantly.

The wild boar, weighing about 400 pounds, charged with great force. Its tusks could inflict severe injuries if they hit a person. However, Yan Yan was strong enough to grab the boar by its tusks and throw it aside, rendering it unconscious.

"It's a shame we have to keep moving," Guan Xue said, shaking her head. "I was thinking about eating wild boar meat."

Just as they were about to move on, Zuo Luohuan suddenly ordered, "Jiang Hong and Guan Xue, you go to the front and lead the way."

The two called upon did not question her and immediately moved to the front. Yan Yan silently moved to the middle, and only Ji Yuezhi glanced at Zuo Luohuan.

Outside the tent in the forest, Bai Feng observed the scene on the surveillance monitor. "It seems they are more inclined to follow Zuo Luohuan's orders," he noted. A leader must have the trust of their team, and it appeared Zuo Luohuan was earning that trust without explicitly trying to take command.

"That's normal; these people know each other well," Jia Hailan explained, pointing to Qian Mao, who was standing slightly behind. "He is also more familiar with Zuo Luohuan and tends to stay near her."

Although He Yue had not been in the capital long, she knew the basic situation. "Zuo Luohuan skipped classes for a year, while Ji Yuezhi and the others were in school the entire time."

"Physical responses don't lie," Jia Hailan explained kindly. "Ji Yuezhi interacts most with the discipline team members. Among them, only two are from the discipline team, but Jiang Hong has been friends with Zuo Luohuan for a long time. Qian Mao and Guan Xue are also more casual around her."

"So the leader should be Zuo Luohuan," Kang Guang concluded.

Jia Hailan shook his head. "Not necessarily. While Zuo Luohuan has the advantage of familiarity, it's too early to say for sure."

On the mountain path, Jiang Hong and Guan Xue led the way, with Ji Yuezhi following quietly, occasionally observing the surroundings.

As they ascended, they began to get a sense of the mountain path's layout, winding around the mountainside with the inner side against the rock and the outer side overlooking the river below. Ji Yuezhi confirmed his earlier thoughts.

He stopped, took out the map, and showed it to the group. "Aside from the wild animals, the instructors may have set traps in this area."

In the tent, Kang Guang enlarged the surveillance screen, his eyes following Ji Yuezhi's finger. Eventually, he cursed softly and asked Jia Hailan, "Should we change it since they've guessed it?"

Jia Hailan shook his head. "This spot is the best place for an ambush. Missing it would be ineffective. Besides, predicting enemy traps is part of command training."