Chapter 26

The low, amused voice drifted into Ji Yuezhi's ears with the gentle autumn breeze, like a small hook, lightly scratching at his heart.

Ji Yuezhi turned his back to Zuo Luohuan, his eyelashes fluttering involuntarily, and his fingers curled into his palm as he put some distance between them before speaking, "They're gone."

"You should rest early too," Zuo Luohuan suggested, glancing at her communicator, noting the late hour. "See you tomorrow."

Ji Yuezhi wanted to reply, but before he could, Zuo Luohuan had already turned around, leaving him with only her back.

It was always like this. For so many years, he could only watch her back, feeling that the distance between them would never close.

Ji Yuezhi lowered his gaze, his fringe falling over his forehead. He should be satisfied; at least now she would say "see you tomorrow" to him.

...

Monday morning, the school released the list of participants for the Federation Military Academy exercise: Zuo Luohuan, Ji Yuezhi, Jiang Hong, Guan Xue, Qian Mao, Yan Yan, and Ding Wuming.

Among the seven, five were second-year students, and two were first-year freshmen.

Along with the list came the training schedule. The instructors had barely rested all night, preparing the schedule for the seven, which included additional training sessions in the evenings and on weekends.

Zuo Luohuan woke up and checked her communicator, finding a schedule packed with training sessions. Fortunately, it was only for half a month until the military academy exercise began.

She closed her communicator, opened her wardrobe, and stood there for a while before reaching for the newly washed jacket from last night. The new jacket was indeed the same size as the old one.

Even though she had traded an old one for a new one, it still felt like she got the better deal.

Today, Zuo Luohuan only had an elective class at the Warship Department building. She didn't feel any pressure, however, the collective training would start at 7:30 PM.

The first day's training was for resisting pheromones. Even Qian Mao, who was still recovering, had been brought over for the session.

When everyone arrived, they saw a half-dead Qian Mao lying on a stretcher, receiving IV fluids.

"Hang in there, brother!" Jiang Hong patted Qian Mao's shoulder, giving him a thumbs up in encouragement.

Qian Mao: "..." He didn't want to be strong; he just wanted to die.

"Good evening. Today's session is simple—just stay indoors for two hours," said Bai Feng, the only instructor present. "Alphas and omegas will form separate groups."

Guan Xue raised her hand. "Instructor, what about betas?"

Bai Feng pondered for a moment. "For betas, you can choose. You can join either the alpha group or the omega group."

"Isn't that too casual?" Guan Xue felt somewhat discriminated against.

Bai Feng suddenly tilted his head, as if someone was speaking to him remotely. A minute later, he changed his mind. "Betas will form their own group. There will be three groups in total."

There were most alphas: Zuo Luohuan, Jiang Hong, Yan Yan, and Ding Wuming. Ji Yuezhi and Qian Mao were omegas, and Guan Xue was the only beta.

They split into three groups and entered three separate rooms. Each room was empty, with only a few ventilation ducts.