Chapter 42: Mending the Fragments

"Tsukiyo," Sanemi called out, his voice firm yet hesitant.

She turned, startled by the sudden intrusion. For a moment, they simply stared at each other, the unspoken words hanging heavily in the air. Sanemi took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation that lay ahead.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" Sanemi's tone was sharp, demanding an answer.

Tsukiyo's eyes widened in surprise, her heart pounding in her chest. She had thought she was being discreet, that her pain was hers alone to bear. But now, faced with Sanemi's earnest gaze, she realised that her attempts to hide had only made things more complicated.

"I... I am not avoiding you, Sanemi," Tsukiyo replied, her voice barely audible, trembling with uncertainty.

Sanemi took a step closer, his eyes never leaving hers. "Don't lie to me, Tsukiyo. I notice everything about you. I may have rejected you, but that doesn't mean I don't care."

A wave of panic surged through Tsukiyo. She felt the walls she had carefully built around her emotions begin to crumble. The intensity of Sanemi's gaze, the sincerity in his voice—it was all too much. She needed to escape before she completely broke down in front of him.

"I have to go," Tsukiyo stammered, turning on her heel.

"Oi, wait!" Sanemi's voice was laced with urgency and a hint of frustration, but she couldn't bear to stay.

She quickened her pace, her footsteps echoing against the stone path. She could hear Sanemi following her, his footsteps growing louder with each passing second. Desperation clawed at her chest, and she broke into a run.

"Tsukiyo Amano, stop running!" Sanemi's voice was closer now, almost pleading, but she didn't dare look back.

Her vision blurred with unshed tears as she sprinted through the gardens, her heart pounding in her ears. She knew she was being irrational, that running away wouldn't solve anything, but she couldn't help herself. She needed space, time to sort out her feelings without Sanemi's piercing gaze cutting through her defenses.

Finally, she reached the edge of the training grounds, her breath coming in ragged gasps. She stumbled to a halt, her legs trembling from the exertion. She could feel Sanemi's presence behind her, a palpable force that made her want to both collapse and keep running.

"Tsukiyo," Sanemi's voice was softer now, but still carried the weight of his determination. He caught up to her, grabbing her arm gently but firmly, trying to turn her to face him.

"I can't, Sanemi. Not now." Tsukiyo intercepted, shaking her head, her voice breaking as she struggled to keep her composure. "I need time."

Sanemi's grip on her arm tightened slightly, his eyes filled with a mixture of frustration and concern. "Are you going to just avoid me forever?"

Just as Tsukiyo was about to respond, a calm yet authoritative voice cut through the tension.

"Shinazugawa, that's enough."

Both turned to see Giyu Tomioka approaching, his serene expression a stark contrast to the charged atmosphere. Sanemi's grip on Tsukiyo's arm tightened momentarily before he let go, his eyes narrowing at Giyu.

"Tomioka, this is between Tsukiyo and me," Sanemi snapped, frustration evident in his voice.

"I know," Giyu replied evenly, his eyes locking onto Sanemi's with an unwavering calm. "But sometimes, giving someone space is the best way to show you care."

Sanemi's jaw tightened, his fists clenching at his sides. "And what would you know about that, Tomioka? You think you're so detached and wise, but you don't understand anything!"

Giyu remained unfazed, his voice steady. "Pushing her now will only cause more pain."

"Back off, Tomioka!" Sanemi's voice rose, anger flaring in his eyes. "You don't get to tell me what to do!"

Tsukiyo, feeling the confrontation escalating, stepped between them. "Stop it, both of you," she said, her voice shaky but firm. "Sanemi, I just need some time. Please."

Sanemi's expression remained grim for a moment before it softened, just a fraction. "Fine, take the time you need. But know that I'm here, whenever you're ready to talk."

With those words, Sanemi took a step back, giving her the space Tsukiyo so desperately needed. Tsukiyo felt a mixture of relief and sorrow wash over her as she watched Sanemi walk away.

Giyu waited until Sanemi was out of sight before turning to Tsukiyo, his expression softening. "Are you alright?"

Tsukiyo nodded, though her legs felt like jelly. "Thank you, Tomioka. I... I didn't know how to handle that."

Giyu offered her reassurance. "It's okay. Like what you shared with me previously, you don't have to face everything alone."

They moved away from the training grounds as they spoke, the tension slowly dissipating with each step.

As they strolled through the gardens, Tsukiyo found herself opening up to Giyu, her voice steadying with each word. Giyu's presence beside her was a source of comfort, his steady demeanour a reassuring anchor in the midst of her turmoil. With every word she shared, she felt a little lighter, a little more at peace.

The gentle rustle of leaves and the fragrance of blooming flowers enveloped them, creating a serene atmosphere that seemed to ease the tension in Tsukiyo's heart.