Chapter 44: A Desperate Plea

Panic surged through Sanemi as he felt the weight of her lifeless body. "Tsukiyo! Tsukiyo Amano!" he called desperately, his voice cracking with anguish.

He pressed his hand harder against her wound, trying to staunch the flow of blood. "Idiot! Don't sleep! I have so many things I haven't told you. Please, don't fall asleep!"

Sanemi's breaths came in ragged gasps as he pushed his legs to their limit, sprinting through the dense forest. Branches whipped against his face, but he ignored the stinging pain. All that mattered was getting Tsukiyo to the Butterfly Mansion in time. His mind raced with fear and regret, each heartbeat a painful reminder of his helplessness.

He glanced down at Tsukiyo's pale face, his heart clenching at the sight. "Hold on, damn it. Just hold on," he whispered, his voice trembling. "You can't leave me. Not like this."

Memories of their time together flashed through his mind – her laughter, her kindness, her unwavering support. He couldn't bear the thought of losing her, not after everything they had been through.

His thoughts spiralled, a chaotic mix of fear, guilt, and a desperate need to save her. The forest seemed endless, the journey to the Butterfly Mansion stretching out like an eternity. Every second felt like a lifetime, each step a battle against the overwhelming fear of losing Tsukiyo. He could feel her slipping away, her breathing growing shallower with each passing moment.

"You promised you'd be there for me," he choked out, his voice raw with emotion. "So you can't die on me now. You just can't."

As he finally burst out of the forest, the sight of the Butterfly Mansion in the distance filled him with a sliver of hope. His legs burned with exhaustion, but he didn't slow down. He couldn't afford to. Tsukiyo's life depended on him, and he would do whatever it took to save her.

Sanemi's heart pounded as he burst through the doors of the Butterfly Mansion, cradling Tsukiyo's limp form in his arms. The panic that had gripped him during the frenzied run through the forest had not abated; if anything, it intensified as he saw the concerned looks on the faces of the Mansion's healers.

"Help her! Now!" he shouted, his bloodshot eyes wide with desperation, his voice cracking.

The butterfly girls were shocked by Sanemi's fierce demeanour and the gravity of the situation.

Shinobu Kocho rushed over, her usual calm replaced by urgency. "Tsukiyo! What happened?" she gasped, her eyes wide with alarm at the sight of Tsukiyo's injuries.

She quickly assessed Tsukiyo's condition and motioned for Sanemi to lay her down on a nearby cot. Her hands moved with practiced precision, working to stabilise Tsukiyo, who was barely clinging to consciousness.

Sanemi watched, his chest tight with fear and helplessness. He couldn't do anything but stand there, his blood-streaked hands trembling, as Shinobu fought to save Tsukiyo. The minutes dragged on like hours, every second a fresh agony.

Finally, Shinobu stepped back, wiping her brow. "She's stable for now," she said, her voice gentle but firm. "We'll need to keep a close eye on her, but she's going to be fine. Luckily, her crystal barrier softened the blow, diverting the attack away from the main vital areas."

Sanemi's knees nearly buckled with relief. "Thank you, Shinobu," he whispered, his voice hoarse.

In the quiet confines of the Butterfly Mansion, Tsukiyo lay resting, her injuries tended to with the utmost care by Shinobu. With each passing day, her strength slowly returned, her spirit bolstered by the unwavering support of those around her – the Hashiras and demon slayers took turn to visit her whenever they are not on duty.

Sanemi, meanwhile, found himself unable to tear himself away from Tsukiyo's side. Despite the demands of his duties as a demon slayer, he made a point to visit her every day.

He visited her before and after missions, his worry etched into the lines of his face. He would sit by her bedside, watching the slow rise and fall of her chest, each breath a reassurance that she was still with him.

Shinobu observed his behaviour with quiet interest. One evening, as Sanemi lingered by Tsukiyo's side, she approached him.

"You're here again," she noted softly, a small smile on her lips.

Sanemi nodded, not taking his eyes off Tsukiyo. "I need to make sure she's okay."

Shinobu sat down beside him. "Sanemi, I've noticed how much you care for Tsukiyo. It's admirable. But I want to remind you of something."

Sanemi finally looked at her, his expression wary and defensive.

Shinobu's eyes were kind but serious. "You need to make use of the present. What's past is past. You can't change what happened with Kanae, and I know that loss still weighs heavily on you. It is the same for me. But if you truly feel something for Tsukiyo, you need to let go of the past and move forward."

Sanemi's jaw tightened. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Shinobu remained patient. "Don't try to avoid your feelings, and don't lie to yourself. You know yourself best."

After a long silence, Sanemi finally muttered, "It's not that easy."

"I know," Shinobu said gently. "But Kanae was my sister, and I know she would have wanted the best for her friends. She wouldn't want you to live in regret. Neither would Tsukiyo. Think through your feelings, Sanemi. Don't let another chance slip away."

Sanemi stared at Tsukiyo, his mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Shinobu's words struck a chord deep within him. He had spent so long building walls around his heart, afraid to let anyone in, afraid of the pain that came with loss.

But seeing Tsukiyo lying there, vulnerable and hurt because of him, made him realise how much she meant to him. He wasn't sure what the right thing to do was, and he needed to face and understand how he truly felt.

Shinobu stood up, placing a hand gently on Sanemi's shoulder. "You can take some time to think about it, but don't take too long. Life is unpredictable, especially for us."

As she left, Sanemi remained by Tsukiyo's side, his mind in turmoil. He reached out, gently brushing a strand of hair from her face.

"Tsukiyo," he murmured, his voice softening, "I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I can't keep pushing people away. Not anymore. Please give me some time, as I sort out everything."

With those words, he made a silent promise to himself and to Tsukiyo. He would confront his feelings, face the ghosts of his past, and try to build a future free of regret, even if it would be tough and take time. For Tsukiyo, for Kanae, and for himself.