Chapter 15: Forging Bonds with Ohagi

Tsukiyo sat in the quiet courtyard of the Demon Slayer Corps headquarters, a gentle breeze rustling the leaves overhead. 

Mitsuri and Shinobu approached her with a mix of curiosity and concern.

"How did your last mission with Sanemi go?" Mitsuri asked, her eyes wide and filled with worry. "He can be a bit... intense, you know."

Tsukiyo smiled softly, recalling the recent mission. "It actually went quite well," she replied.

"But there was a moment when Sanemi seemed to shut down when I mentioned about his friend, Masachika."

Shinobu's expression turned solemn. "Ah, Masachika. They fought together against the Lower Moon One. It was a fierce battle, and Masachika... he didn't make it."

A pang of sadness gripped Tsukiyo's heart. She remembered Masachika as a kind and pleasant person. "That's terrible," she murmured. "I shouldn't have brought it up."

----------

Determined to make amends, Tsukiyo decided to prepare some food for Sanemi.

First, I need to find out what Sanemi likes to eat. 

To discover Sanemi's favorite food, Tsukiyo plotted a covert operation. With a mission-like focus, she set out to uncover this secret without him catching on.

Over the next few days, Tsukiyo began her undercover operation. She discreetly observed Sanemi during meals, noting what he chose to eat and what he left behind. She even strategically positioned herself during meal times to get a clear view of his food preferences.

During breakfast one morning, Tsukiyo noticed Sanemi reaching for the ohagi. It was the third time that week he had chosen it.

With this newfound knowledge, Tsukiyo was ready to make amends and prepare a special treat for Sanemi.

----------

Tsukiyo, not exactly known for her culinary prowess, decided to take on the challenge of mastering ohagi. "How hard can it be?" she thought, optimistically.

As she started, the rice turned out overly sticky. "Okay, maybe I used too much water this time," she muttered to herself. 

On her next attempt, she found the red bean paste she'd made was overly sweet. "Maybe less sugar next time?" she pondered, scratching her head in frustration. 

"Why does the shape looks so weird!" Each attempt, the taste or shape wasn't quite right.

After multiple clumsy tries, she finally managed to produce a plate of decent-looking ohagi.

She was both proud and relieved, wiping the sweat from her forehead. 

Holding the plate carefully, she wrote a heartfelt note to accompany it, hoping her efforts would convey her genuine feelings and apologies for her previous insensitivity towards Sanemi.

----------

Later that evening, with the cover of darkness as her ally, Tsukiyo sneaked into Sanemi's mansion. Her heart raced as she tiptoed into the house, carefully placing the plate of ohagi and the handwritten note on the dining table.

"Who's that sneaking around in my house?" yelled Sanemi as he noticed someone stealthily moving about.

Taken aback, Tsukiyo swiftly placed the plate of ohagi down and sheepishly scratched her head. "Uh, hi Shinazugawa, haha."

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sanemi exclaimed, visibly confused and slightly annoyed.

"It's just—just," Tsukiyo stammered, flustered by Sanemi's sudden appearance and question. 

"These are for you!" She pointed to the plate of ohagi on the table and dashed out of the mansion as quickly as she could to avoid getting into trouble with Sanemi.

"Oi!" Sanemi shouted, but Tsukiyo had disappeared in a flash.

"What's wrong with the Crystal girl? She's acting weird again," mumbled Sanemi as he approached the table, curious to see what Tsukiyo had left.

Sanemi was taken aback when he saw the plate of ohagi and the handwritten note. How did she know ohagi is my favourite?

He couldn't help but find the gesture amusing; a hint of a gentle smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as he read the note:

Dear Shinazugawa,

I realised I may have reopened wounds I didn't intend to, during our previous mission. I made these ohagi for you, hoping they might offer a bit of comfort and warmth. Please accept them as a heartfelt apology.

Warmly, Tsukiyo

"She's such a foolish girl," commented Sanemi as he reached for the ohagi. 

However, as soon as he tasted it, he spat it out, coughing.

"Is she trying to kill me?" Sanemi shouted, grabbing a drink beside him and wondering if the ohagi were even edible.

Despite the taste, Sanemi managed to finish up the ohagi, a mix of irritation and warmth filling his heart as he reflected on Tsukiyo's clumsy but heartfelt gesture.