Chapter 38: An Upper Moon

The air was thick with tension as Enmu's disintegrated form left behind an eerie silence.

Tsukiyo and the others were looking around for injured passengers, helping them to safety.

The Demon Slayers barely had time to catch their breath when a sinister presence approached.

"Well done defeating Enmu," a demon with fair skin decorated by a pattern of thick blue lines said, his voice dripping with condescension. "But your journey ends here."

Rengoku stepped forward, his fiery presence defiant. Seeing the "Upper Rank" and "Three" etched onto his irises, Rengoku realised they were facing a formidable opponent. "You are Upper Moon Three. I won't let you harm anyone else."

Tsukiyo stood beside him, her eyes cold and determined. "We'll stop you together."

The demon laughed, a chilling sound that echoed through the night. "How exciting! But, I, Akaza, don't fight women." Akaza then turned to look at Rengoku, his gaze turning menacing. "Let's see if you can entertain me."

Without warning, Akaza lunged at Rengoku with incredible speed. Rengoku met his attack head-on, their swords clashing with a deafening clang. Flames erupted from Rengoku's blade, illuminating the darkness.

"Flame Breathing, Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun!" Rengoku's attack blazed, but Akaza effortlessly deflected it, his strength unmatched.

Tsukiyo saw an opening and seized the moment. "Crystal Breathing, Fifth Form: Prism Piercer!" She transformed her blade into a multi-colored spear and thrust it towards Akaza.

Akaza dodged with inhuman agility, countering with a flurry of punches. "Destructive Death: Compass Needle!" His attacks were precise, but he avoided striking Tsukiyo directly, his principles forbidding him from attacking women.

"I said, I don't fight women," Akaza re-emphasized.

"But I fight demons," Tsukiyo countered, her resolve unwavering.

Rengoku and Tsukiyo fought in perfect sync, their attacks complementing each other. "Flame Breathing, Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation!" Rengoku unleashed a powerful attack, flames roaring like a dragon.

"Crystal Breathing, Sixth Form: Diamond Drill!" Tsukiyo focused her breath into a crystal-tipped drill, drilling through the air with unstoppable force.

Their combined attack struck Akaza, but he merely smirked, regenerating instantly. "Impressive! It has been a while since I have had such an amazing battle!"

With a swift motion, Akaza landed a powerful blow on Rengoku, sending him crashing into the ground. Tsukiyo leaped to his defence, attempting to block Akaza's next strike.

Seeing Tsukiyo intercepting, Akaza tried his best to stop his attack due to his refusal to harm women. This momentary hesitation gave Tsukiyo an opening.

Taking advantage of Akaza's momentary disorientation, Tsukiyo attacked swiftly. "Crystal Breathing, First Form: Crystal Strike!" However, Akaza still managed to dodge a direct hit, and with his rapid regeneration, he seemed unharmed.

"Rengoku, are you alright?" Tsukiyo asked, her voice laced with concern.

Rengoku gritted his teeth, blood seeping from a wound on his side. "I'll manage. We can't let him win."

Akaza's eyes gleamed with sadistic pleasure. "You two are strong, but not strong enough to defeat me."

Rengoku staggered to his feet, his flame-filled eyes locking onto Akaza. "Strength isn't everything. It's the heart that matters."

Tsukiyo nodded, her resolve hardening. "We'll fight together, no matter what."

Akaza's smile widened, his interest piqued by their determination. "Show me, then. Show me the strength of your hearts."

Rengoku and Tsukiyo launched a coordinated assault, their techniques intertwining in a dazzling display of power and precision. Rengoku's fiery attacks and Tsukiyo's crystalline strikes complemented each other perfectly, pushing Akaza back momentarily.

"Flame Breathing, Ninth Form: Rengoku!" Rengoku's body became a blazing inferno as he charged at Akaza, his sword aiming for the demon's heart.

"Crystal Breathing, Fourth Form: Luminous Whip!" Tsukiyo's blade shimmered with a thousand colors as she joined Rengoku, her attack merging with his in a spectacular burst of energy.

Akaza's eyes widened in surprise at the sheer force of their combined attack. For a brief moment, it seemed like they might break through his defenses. But with a guttural roar, Akaza unleashed a counterattack, his body radiating a dark, destructive energy.

"Destructive Death: Annihilation Type!" Akaza's fists became a blur of motion, deflecting their attacks and striking Rengoku with a powerful blow. Rengoku's body was flung backward, crashing into the ground with a sickening thud.

"Rengoku!" Tsukiyo screamed, her heart pounding with fear.

Rengoku struggled to rise, his body battered and bruised. "I'm not...done yet," he gasped, his spirit unyielding.

Akaza's gaze shifted to Tsukiyo, a cold amusement in his eyes. "Your partner is falling. What will you do now, little girl?"

Tsukiyo's eyes burned with determination. "I will fight until my last breath. We will protect those we care about."

With a ferocious battle cry, Tsukiyo charged at Akaza, her movements a blur of speed and precision. Her attacks were relentless, each strike aimed to exploit any opening in Akaza's defenses.

Akaza dodged without countering, adhering to his principle of not hitting women. His movements were almost lazy in their precision. "As I said, you are not strong enough."

As the night wore on, the first light of dawn began to break through the darkness. Akaza's eyes flickered with annoyance. "It seems our time is up."

Seeing the opportunity, Rengoku mustered the last of his strength. "Tsukiyo, now!"

With a final, desperate effort, Tsukiyo unleashed her technique. "Crystal Breathing, Firth Form: Prism Piercer!" Her blade transformed into a radiant crystal, shattering into a thousand fragments that aimed to pierce Akaza from every angle.

Akaza's eyes widened in shock as the attack enveloped him, but his body began to regenerate almost immediately. "Impressive... but I am afraid we can't continue this battle for now."

The first rays of sunlight touched the battlefield, and Akaza's expression darkened. "This isn't over," he snarled, retreating into the shadows. "Next time, you won't be so lucky."

As Akaza vanished, the tension in the air dissipated, leaving an eerie silence in its wake. Tsukiyo rushed to Rengoku's side, her heart pounding with fear.

"Rengoku, hold on," she whispered, tears streaming down her face. "We need to get you to the Butterfly Estate."

Rengoku managed a weak smile, his eyes filled with a fierce determination. "We'll...make it," he said, his voice barely a whisper.

Tanjiro, Inosuke, Zenitsu, and Nezuko arrived, their faces etched with concern. "Rengoku-san!" Tanjiro exclaimed, rushing to help.

"Let's move," Tsukiyo said, her voice steady despite her fear. "We need to get him to safety."

Together, they lifted Rengoku, moving as quickly as they could towards the Butterfly Estate.

The journey was tense, every step filled with urgency. Tsukiyo's hands never left Rengoku, her presence a constant source of comfort and strength.