Chapter 31: The Mountain Demon

The sun was starting to set when Tsukiyo and Giyu set off on their mission. The crisp air carried the scent of pine and damp earth, a stark contrast to the smoky, acrid odor of the villages they had left behind. Their target was a powerful demon that had been terrorising the mountain villages, leaving a trail of death and destruction in its wake.

The first few hours were spent tracking the demon's movements. Along the way, they encountered terrified villagers who spoke of a monstrous figure that appeared only at night, its eyes glowing with a malevolent light.

"The demon looks exactly like Akira. He was from our village previously, a respected herbalist in the mountain region," one of the villagers said, recalling the tragic night where he managed to take a glimpse of the demon before he escaped, saving his life. "He had vast knowledge of medicinal plants and always helped to heal the sick."

"It was so sad when the tragedy struck. A rare disease spread around the village years ago, and that claimed the lives of his wife and daughter. He became deranged afterwards," another villager added, shaking her head sadly.

With the information provided by the villagers, Tsukiyo and Giyu continued their hunt. The first night was cold and silent, with no signs of any demon. They set up camp under a canopy of stars at the mountain, the fire crackling softly between them.

Tsukiyo glanced at Giyu, his face illuminated by the flickering flames, and wondered how someone can be so quiet.

"Have you always been this serious?" Tsukiyo asked, breaking the silence.

Giyu looked up, his expression unchanged. "It's necessary in our line of work."

Tsukiyo nodded, but pressed on, sensing a rare opportunity to learn more about her stoic companion. "What drives you to keep going, even when things get tough?"

Giyu remained silent for a moment, his gaze fixed on the fire.

The silence stretched on, and Tsukiyo wondered if he would answer at all. Finally, he spoke, his voice low and steady. "I lost people who were important to me. Continuing this fight is my way of honouring their memory."

A wave of sadness washed over Tsukiyo, and she felt a deep empathy for Giyu's pain. "I understand. We all have our reasons, don't we?"

Giyu nodded, his eyes reflecting the flickering flames. "Yes, we do."

Feeling that Giyu was actually a nice guy, unlike what Sanemi and Obanai had shared, Tsukiyo decided to try her luck and ask another question. "Why don't you join us for training or meals?"

Giyu stared into the flames of the fire and replied calmly, "I am different from you all."

Tsukiyo felt confused. "What do you mean by different? In what ways?"

Giyu hesitated, unsure how to explain himself. A long silence stretched between them, and Tsukiyo thought she might have made Giyu uncomfortable with her question. 

She decided to change the topic when Giyu suddenly spoke, "I don't deserve to be a Hashira. I am not qualified, not like the others."

Tsukiyo leaned forward, about to speak, when a loud rustling sound came from behind them.

Tsukiyo and Giyu reacted swiftly, drawing their swords as they turned. What they saw was a demon with elongated limbs covered in sinewy muscles, claws that could shred through metal, and eyes that glowed with an eerie red light.

"Akira!" Tsukiyo called out.

"Quit calling me that name! Akira is dead. I am Akuro!" the demon exclaimed. His once-kind face was now a monstrous visage, with sharp teeth and a contorted grin that reflected his inner torment and rage.

"I wasn't going to hunt today because I wasn't in the mood. But since you came to me, I guess it's a gift!" Akuro shouted, before pouncing to attack.

"Demon Art: Plant Manipulation!" Akuro began to control the flora around him, drawing from his knowledge as a former herbalist. Vines grew at incredible speeds, trying to trap Tsukiyo and Giyu.

"Water Breathing, Third Form: Flowing Dance!" Giyu used his water breathing to slice through the vines coming at them.

Tsukiyo seized the opportunity to launch crystal projectiles at Akuro. "Crystal Breathing, Third Form: Sapphire Cascade!"

Akuro smirked, using a nearby plant to shield himself from the crystal projectiles.

Suddenly, more plants began to sprout, releasing a purple gas that spread around them.

"Be careful, Amano. Those must be the toxic spores the villagers mentioned!" Giyu warned.

Tsukiyo and Giyu controlled their breathing to avoid inhaling the toxic spores.

"Crystal Breathing, Fourth Form: Luminous Whip!" Tsukiyo used the fourth form of Crystal Breathing to whip off the sprouting plants, stopping them from releasing more toxic spores.

Meanwhile, Giyu tried to clear the air of the toxic gas with his Water Breathing. "Water Breathing, Sixth Form: Whirlpool!"

"Interesting. You two are quite skilled," Akuro grinned wickedly, his eyes glinting with malice. "You must be the Hashiras."

"I'm curious to see how Hashiras will react to this," Akuro sneered, a sinister smile spreading across his face. He raised his hand and snapped his fingers, conjuring a rose that he bit with his sharp teeth.

"Demon Art: Dark Aura!" Akuro growled, the air around him thickening with a menacing energy.