Chapter 12: The Shadow of Envy

The sun cast a warm glow over the village as Tsukiyo and Hiroshi prepared for their next mission together.

"It has been a while since we are on a mission together right, Hiroshi-nisan?" Tsukiyo exclaimed. 

The air was filled with the usual excitement and anticipation, but beneath the surface, a tension brewed.

Hiroshi responded with a nod, "Yeah, the last we went on a mission together was months ago."

As they walked through the forest towards their destination, Hiroshi still could not shake the feeling of resentment that had been growing inside him. He watched Tsukiyo confidently leading the way, her blue Nichirin blade glinting in the dappled sunlight, and could not help but feel overshadowed.

During the mission, they found themselves in a tight spot. The demon unleashed a barrage of attacks, its sinister laughter echoing through the trees.

Tsukiyo quickly assessed the situation. "Hiroshi-nisan, we need to combine our techniques to break through its defences!"

As they fought side by side, Hiroshi found himself hesitating, his movements less fluid than usual. Tsukiyo, on the other hand, moved with precision and grace, her Crystal Breathing techniques proving effective against the demon's onslaught.

After managing to subdue the demon, they took a moment to catch their breath. Tsukiyo turned to Hiroshi, concern etched on her face. "Are you okay, Hiroshi-nisan? You seemed off during the fight."

Hiroshi's jaw clenched, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "I'm fine," he snapped, "but maybe if you hadn't been so quick to jump in, I could have handled it myself!"

Tsukiyo looked taken aback by his outburst. The words hung heavily between them, the tension palpable. Tsukiyo tried to reach out to him, "Hiroshi-nisan, I didn't mean to—"

But Hiroshi turned away, his heart heavy with jealousy and shame. "Let's just finish up this mission and report back," he muttered, sheathing his sword.

As they proceeded back in strained silence, Hiroshi felt guilty and broke the silence. "About earlier, I'm sorry, Tsukiyo. I was just feeling frustrated with myself. I shouldn't have lashed out at you."

Happiness swamped Tsukiyo as Hiroshi finally spoke to her, and she immediately responded, "Don't worry at all, Hiroshi-nisan! I won't take it to heart. It's normal to feel down and frustrated on certain days, I feel that way sometimes too!" She tried to lighten the mood with some dramatic and funny actions, aiming to make Hiroshi laugh.

Seeing this, Hiroshi let out a laugh, reminded of the fun times they had shared when they were younger. How could he harbour such negative feelings towards Tsukiyo, who had always been a sweet and caring friend and sister?

Heading back after completing their mission, Tsukiyo and Hiroshi stepped into the bustling headquarters of the Demon Slayer Corps, the familiar scent of polished wood and steel greeting them. As they made their way through the hallways, Tsukiyo overheard hushed conversations and excited murmurs.

"Have you heard? The Wind Hashira has been chosen!"

Tsukiyo's ears perked up at the mention of the Wind Hashira. Curiosity piqued, she quickened her pace towards the gathering place of the slayers.

As she approached, she heard the slayers discussing among themselves.

"So who is the Wind Hashira? Spill it now!"

"You all should know who," winked the girl slayer with flowing blue hair, her eyes gleaming mischievously.

"Ugh, just spill it now, don't keep us in suspense!" Tsukiyo muttered to herself under her breath while eavesdropping on their conversation.

It was as though the blue-haired slayer read Tsukiyo's mind, she squealed and revealed, "It's none other than my favourite, Sanemi-kun!"

So, the brash and aloof guy had become the Wind Hashira. Despite their rocky past encounter, Tsukiyo had always recognised him as a skilled and dedicated demon slayer. Seeing him rise to the rank of Hashira was both unexpected and impressive. It made her aspire to reach a similar level of skill and dedication someday.

While Tsukiyo was engrossed in the conversation surrounding the new Wind Hashira, Hiroshi was caught up in another discussion at the headquarters.

"Have you noticed how rapidly Tsukiyo is improving? Her skills have grown immensely over time. She must have worked really hard," commented a slayer with a hint of awe in his voice.

"Yeah, I've heard she's been excelling in her missions. It wouldn't surprise me if she becomes the next Crystal Hashira," another slayer added, nodding thoughtfully.

Hiroshi felt a pang of bitterness hearing that, as deep down, he harboured an ambition to become the Crystal Hashira. Ever since he was young, he had looked up to Hikari and aspired to be the Hashira who could vanquish the demons that had harmed his family.

Back at home, Hiroshi found himself alone with his thoughts. His own feelings of inadequacy, once again, weighed heavily on him.

As night fell, Hiroshi sat alone, wrestling with his emotions. The darkness seemed to seep into his soul, feeding his jealousy and planting the seeds of a darker path.

"I don't want to be overshadowed anymore," he vowed to himself after struggling internally, his eyes reflecting a newfound determination. "If strength is what it takes to rise, then I'll find it, no matter the cost."