Chapter 7: Confrontations with Demons

Tsukiyo and Hiroshi set foot into the dense, ominous forest, the designated area for their Demon Slayer selection test. Their hearts pounded with a mix of anticipation and fear, even though they are trying to calm themselves down. The looming challenge ahead palpable in the air.

The forest was eerily quiet, except for the rustling of leaves and the distant chirping of birds. Tsukiyo and Hiroshi moved cautiously, their senses heightened, wary of the real demons which may lurk in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to ambush them.

Suddenly, a low growl echoed through the forest, sending shivers down their spines. Emerging from the thick foliage, a demonic creature with gnarled horns, sharp claws, and glowing eyes blocked their path, its malevolent aura palpable.

Without hesitation, Tsukiyo and Hiroshi unsheathed their Nichirin blades, readying themselves for battle. As the demon lunged at them with ferocious speed, Tsukiyo froze, haunted by memories of her first encounter with this demon as an 11-year-old. Paralyzed by fear, she stood rooted to the spot, unable to move.

Seeing Tsukiyo's hesitation, Hiroshi shouted, "Snap out of it, Tsukiyo! This is the real selection test! We need to apply our training now!" With those words, Hiroshi struck the demon, landing a decisive blow.

Jolted back to reality, Tsukiyo wielded her blade, joining Hiroshi in combat. Dodging the demon's attacks, she executed her breathing techniques with determination. 

Seizing an opportunity, she unleashed her Crystal Breathing technique: "Crystal Breathing, First Form: Crystal Strike!" The attack incapacitated the demon, turning the tide of the battle.

"We did it!" Tsukiyo cheered, exchanging a high-five with Hiroshi.

However, their respite was short-lived. More demons emerged from the shadows, encircling them. Undeterred, Tsukiyo and Hiroshi fought valiantly, as they executed their breathing techniques with precision and determination.

Minutes felt like hours as they continued to fend off the relentless onslaught of demons, each battle testing their resolve, courage, and teamwork. Despite the exhaustion setting in and the wounds they sustained, Tsukiyo and Hiroshi refused to back down, driven by their shared goal to pass the selection test and become Demon Slayers.

As they battled on, a grotesque demon with gnarled horns and razor-sharp claws suddenly appeared, launching a surprise assault on Tsukiyo from behind as she battled other demons. 

Meanwhile, Hiroshi found himself pinned down, unable to come to her aid. "Tsukiyo, watch out!" he cried out in horror, witnessing the demon closing in on her.

"Wind Breathing, Second Form: Claws-Purifying Wind!" Just as the demon was about to strike, a swift intervention from an unexpected ally thwarted its attack, saving Tsukiyo from grave harm.

Regaining their composure, Tsukiyo and Hiroshi managed to vanquish the remaining demons. Recognising their saviour, Tsukiyo exclaimed, "It's you! The boy from earlier!"

The boy, still brimming with his signature brusqueness, retorted, "You can't even sense a demon sneaking up on you. Be thankful I was around."

Though his words were harsh, Tsukiyo acknowledged the truth in them as she indeed did not notice the demon sneaking behind her. She made a mental note to improve her situational awareness. "Thank you for saving me," she murmured, her head bowed in gratitude.

Without looking back, the boy cautioned, "Be more vigilant. You won't always have someone to save your ass." As he walked away, Tsukiyo called out, "Wait! What's your name?"

Pausing momentarily, the boy replied, "Sanemi Shinazugawa," before disappearing into the forest.

Grinning at his begrudging acknowledgment, Tsukiyo whispered a heartfelt thank you: "So, it's Sanemi Shinazugawa. Thank you, Shinazugawa-san."