Chapter 45: Behind the Wall

Sanemi stood outside Tsukiyo's room, his heart heavy with uncertainty. He couldn't bring himself to enter, not yet. He hadn't sorted out his feelings, and the thought of facing Tsukiyo made his chest tighten with anxiety. He preferred to observe from outside, ensuring she was well without confronting the unresolved emotions that churned within him.

Inside, Tsukiyo lay in her bed, her eyes scanning the room for any sign of Sanemi.

Disappointment gnawed at her. "Does he really need to avoid me like this?" she thought, her heart sinking. She had hoped that, after everything they had been through, he would have at least visited her.

The silence between them was deafening, each moment of absence a reminder of the chasm that had grown between them.

Both of them, separated by a wall, pondered how they should move forward in their relationship.

They treasured each other deeply and did not want to lose the bond they shared.

Sanemi's thoughts were interrupted by a familiar, booming voice. "Hey, what are you doing standing outside the door? Let's just head in!" Rengoku's cheerful voice echoed through the hall.

Before Sanemi could protest, Rengoku's strong hand was on his back, pushing him through the door and into Tsukiyo's room. Tsukiyo's eyes widened in surprise as she saw Sanemi stumble in, followed by Rengoku's beaming face.

"Ah, Tsukiyo! It's good to see you up and about!" Rengoku said brightly. "Sanemi here has been worried sick about you."

Sanemi shot Rengoku a glare but couldn't bring himself to correct him. Tsukiyo's expression softened slightly, a small smile tugging at her lips despite her earlier disappointment.

"Hi, Sanemi," Tsukiyo greeted him, her voice fragile, carrying a mix of hope and uncertainty.

Sanemi nodded, his eyes flicking to meet hers before darting away, the weight of their unspoken words hanging heavily in the air.

Rengoku, sensing the need for privacy, clapped Sanemi on the back with a grin. "I'll leave you two to catch up. Remember, cherish the time you have!" With a playful wink at Tsukiyo, he left the room, leaving Sanemi and Tsukiyo alone.

An awkward silence settled between them, each grappling with their own tumultuous emotions. Finally, Sanemi broke the silence, his voice uncharacteristically soft. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm much better now," Tsukiyo replied, her voice gentle. She hesitated before adding, "I thought... maybe you didn't want to see me."

Sanemi shook his head, a mixture of regret and confusion clouding his eyes. "It's not that. I just... I didn't know what to say. How to face you."

Tsukiyo sighed, a mixture of relief and frustration washing over her. She remained silent, but her thoughts echoed loudly in her mind. "You could have just been here, Sanemi. Sometimes, just being here is enough."

Sanemi took a step closer, the distance between them shrinking physically but still vast emotionally. "I'm sorry, Tsukiyo. I'm so sorry that you got injured because of me." His voice cracked, the memory of her taking the blow for him cutting deep.

Tsukiyo's eyes softened, a tender understanding in her gaze. "You don't have to apologise, Sanemi. I chose to do that. My body just moved on its own, following my heart." Her words hung in the air, a gentle, indirect confession of her feelings.

Sanemi's voice was laden with emotion, rough around the edges. "Sorry, Tsukiyo. I was trying to figure things out. I still am. But..." He faltered, the weight of his words heavy on his heart.

Tsukiyo regarded him with a mix of patience and longing, her gaze searching his troubled expression. "Is 'sorry' the only thing you're going to say to me now, Sanemi?"

Sanemi's eyes dropped to the floor, unable to meet her gaze. "I... I don't know what else to say, Tsukiyo. It's just..." His words trailed off, the turmoil within him evident.

Tsukiyo's shoulders slumped ever so slightly, a flicker of disappointment crossing her features.

"I understand, Sanemi," she replied softly, her tone tinged with a hint of sadness. "Thank you for coming to check on me. I am getting a little tired, I think I need some rest now."

With that, she turned away, concealing the ache in her heart as she retreated to her bed.

Sanemi wanted to reach out, to find the right words to express what he felt, but his emotions were a tangled mess. Yet, as he stood there, words failed him. All he managed to utter was a feeble, "Have a good rest, Tsukiyo."

With a heavy heart, Sanemi left the room, the weight of his indecision hanging heavy on his shoulders. All he could do was take it one step at a time, hoping that clarity would eventually come.