Chapter 10: Illusions and Accusations

"We're on another mission together, Shinazugawa! Oh, and is he a friend of yours? I'm Tsukiyo Amano, nice to meet you," greeted Tsukiyo.

Tsukiyo, Sanemi, and Masachika Kumeno were assigned a mission together in a remote village. It was the first time Tsukiyo and Masachika had met.

"Nice to meet you, Amano-san. I'm Masachika Kumeno, a friend of Sanemi's," replied Masachika.

"Your brother isn't with you on this mission?" Sanemi asked, noticing Hiroshi's absence.

Tsukiyo shook her head. "You mean Hiroshi-nisan? He was assigned to another mission. We've teamed up on previous missions, though."

As they chatted (more of Tsukiyo and Masachika chatting between themselves), they explored the village, where they were tasked with exterminating a demon who used a lullaby to create illusions, luring people into traps.

While the team scoured the village, hushed whispers could be heard among the villagers, their faces pale and eyes filled with fear. Small groups gathered in corners, casting furtive glances at the trio, clearly aware of the impending danger. The atmosphere was thick with tension, and the villagers seemed to be on edge, their usual lively chatter replaced by an uneasy silence. Children clung to their parents, and the normally bustling market stalls were eerily quiet.

"We've heard her lullaby again," a villager whispered to another, clutching a protective charm in their hand. "Another one went missing last night."

Following the whispers and the subtle directions given by the villagers, Tsukiyo, Sanemi, and Masachika moved cautiously through the narrow streets, alert for any signs or clues around.

After some time, they detected a faint, haunting melody drifting through the air. Following the sound, they located the demon—a woman with long red hair streaked with orange, yellow-crimson eyes, and a harp that she played to accompany her haunting lullaby—luring her next victim into a trap!

The scene was chilling, the victim entranced and moving slowly towards the demon, completely unaware of the impending danger.

Realising the imminent threat, the trio sprang into action, drawing their Nichirin blades and preparing for battle. Tsukiyo felt a surge of adrenaline, her focus sharpening as she readied herself to confront the demon and protect the innocent.

Before they could intervene, however, the victim succumbed to the demon's enchantment, stepping into the trap laid before her. With a cruel smile, the demon ceased her melody, revealing her true, sinister nature as she prepared to ensnare her prey.

"Look at that monstrosity," Sanemi muttered through clenched teeth, his eyes narrowed in disdain.

Tsukiyo, Sanemi and Masachika faced a tough battle against the demon. They discovered that the lullaby only worked within a certain distance from the demon and tried to attack from a range.

In the midst of the confrontation, Tsukiyo was ensnared by the demon's deceptive lullaby. She saw a vivid vision of a young girl, entranced and drawn towards the demon's haunting melody. 

Driven by her protective instincts, Tsukiyo charged forward to rescue the child, oblivious to the fact that she had fallen directly into the demon's cunning trap.

Sanemi and Masachika intervened immediately, using their Wind Breathing techniques to distract the demon and move her further away. 

With masterful control over their Wind Breathing techniques, they unleashed powerful gusts to disorient the demon. Their coordinated efforts forced the demon to retreat, luring her further away and ensuring that they remained safely outside the range of her entrancing lullaby.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Sanemi yelled, clearly displeased with Tsukiyo's actions.

As the realisation dawned on her that she had been ensnared by the illusion, Tsukiyo felt disappointed in herself. She felt like she had become a liability to the team.

Masachika, maintaining his usual calm and gentle demeanour, stepped in to defend her.

"She was ensnared by the demon's illusion, she didn't see the trap for what it was. Ease up, Sanemi," Masachika said, his voice steady yet firm. "Our priority now should be dealing with the demon."

"As Demon Slayers, we need to be vigilant. Getting caught in an illusion is no excuse. If you can't handle it, maybe you should quit being a Demon Slayer. Don't put others at risk with your carelessness," Sanemi snapped, his voice sharp with frustration.

The words stung Tsukiyo deeply. However, Tsukiyo tried to pull herself together. The mission was ongoing, and she couldn't afford to let her emotions interfere.

"You're being too harsh, Sanemi. That illusion could affect any of us," Masachika remarked.

"Not if we're not careless like her," Sanemi retorted, a frown forming on his face.

Beneath Sanemi's harsh words, Masachika sensed a glimmer of concern for Tsukiyo's well-being. Sanemi was frustrated to see that, despite her experiences as a Demon Slayer, Tsukiyo seemed to lack the growth and awareness needed, putting herself in jeopardy.

The tension between the trio was palpable, but the urgency of the mission forced them to push their feelings aside. The demon with long red hair, streaked with orange strands, and yellow crimson eyes continued her haunting melody, attempting to ensnare them once more.

Gathering his focus, Sanemi took the lead, swiftly engaging the demon with precise slashes of his Nichirin blade. Masachika followed suit, his Wind Breathing techniques creating powerful gusts to keep the demon at bay.

Tsukiyo channelled her Crystal Breathing to attack the demon. "Crystal Breathing, Third Form: Sapphire Cascade!" she shouted, launching a flurry of crystalline projectiles at the demon. The demon screeched in pain as the shards pierced her skin, forcing her to retreat.

At the precise moment, Sanemi and Masachika unleashed a coordinated attack. Sanemi's blade glowed with a brilliant green hue as he executed his Wind Breathing technique, creating a vortex that lifted the demon off her feet. Masachika followed, his swift movements and precise strikes adding to the onslaught.

Cornered and weakened, the demon's harp fell silent as she attempted one final, desperate lullaby. But before she could ensnare them again, Tsukiyo, having shaken off the effects of the illusion, charged forward, driving her blade through the demon's head.

With the demon defeated, the trio set out to find the victim who had been ensnared by the demon's haunting melody. The young girl, shaken by the experience but thankfully unharmed, was found trembling behind a cluster of trees.

Sanemi, still reeling from the recent confrontation, sheathed his blade with a huff. "Let's wrap this up and report back," he said tersely.

Sensing the tension that still hung in the air, Masachika offered Tsukiyo a reassuring smile. "You did well, Amano-san."

Sanemi couldn't resist adding another cutting remark. "Tch. If she had been alone, she would have been dead!"

Attempting to ignore Sanemi's barbed comments, Tsukiyo nodded at Masachika and offered a weak smile, appreciating his support. However, the sting of Sanemi's earlier criticism lingered, and she was unable to shake it off.

Despite the tension, the mission was a success. The trio escorted the shaken victim back to the village, where they were met with relieved and grateful villagers. The weight of their accomplishment did little to alleviate the strain between Tsukiyo and Sanemi, but as demon slayers, they had a common goal to focus on.

As they prepared to part ways, Tsukiyo, after much reflection on Sanemi's words, spoke up, "Shinazugawa-san, Kumeno-san, I will continue on as a Demon Slayer. I will not quit being one. I know I might be clumsy and careless, but I've always worked hard and will keep doing so. Someday, I'll be a strong Demon Slayer who can protect many and won't be a burden to others."

"Suit yourself!" Sanemi retorted, his frustration still evident. This crystal girl really is an oddball.

Masachika smiled warmly, offering Tsukiyo encouragement. "Keep that spirit, Amano-san. You have the potential to be a great Demon Slayer."