Chapter 51: Partners Through the Storm

The Hashiras assembled at the Demon Slayer Headquarters, their expressions a mixture of anticipation and concern. A meeting with the Master awaited them.

"Tengen, how are you? I heard you faced a grueling battle with Upper Moon Six!" Rengoku's voice boomed with his usual enthusiasm as Tengen limped into the compound, supported by his wives, Hinatsuru, Makio, and Suma.

"We'll return after the meeting," Hinatsuru said softly, helping Tengen into a chair.

With bandages wrap around his head, concealing a missing eye, and his right arm heavily bandaged as well, Tengen replied, "I am fortunate to be still alive. But... my injuries, they won't allow me to fight on as a Hashira anymore."

The other Hashiras fell silent, feeling sad that yet another of their comrades have been hurt by the demons and a skillful Hashira having to step down from his position.

"Don't look so grim," Tengen said, his flamboyant spirit undimmed despite his injuries. "I'm still here, and that's what matters. I can contribute to the corps in other ways. This might be my last meeting as a Hashira, so let's make it count!"

Kagaya Ubuyashiki arrived shortly, his presence calm and reassuring. "Tengen, your bravery has saved countless lives," he said gently. "But it's time for you to rest."

Tengen nodded, his voice hoarse. "I understand, Kagaya-sama. My injuries... they won't let me fight as I used to."

Turning to the gathered Hashira, Kagaya continued, "Tengen was originally assigned to a crucial mission, one that requires a pair of Demon Slayers to infiltrate a village, posing as a couple. Tengen was ideal for this, given his ability to blend in with one of his wives."

"Given the current situation, I hope that a pair of you would be able to help and take up this mission," Kagaya continued.

Mitsuri Kanroji, the Love Hashira, and Shinobu Kocho, the Insect Hashira, are unavailable—Mitsuri is away at the Swordsmith Village for weapon maintenance, and Shinobu is on a mission. The only female Hashira present at the meeting is Tsukiyo, the Crystal Hashira.

Kagaya turned to Tsukiyo. "Tsukiyo, may I entrust you to this mission? I understand that you have been on a lot of missions recently, but Mitsuri and Shinobu are currently away."

"Yes Master, of course you may. I would gladly help out with this mission," Tsukiyo answered.

Kagaya nodded, and continued, "In that case, who would you like to choose as your partner for the mission? Who do you believe you can work well with?"

A tense silence gripped the room. Tsukiyo's eyes instinctively darted towards Sanemi Shinazugawa, the Wind Hashira. Their gazes locked briefly, a flicker of emotion passing between them.

Sanemi's expression was unreadable, but a storm seemed to brew in his eyes. Tsukiyo felt her heart quicken and, almost reflexively, she looked away.

"I... I would like to work with Tomioka," Tsukiyo finally said, her voice steady but soft.

Sanemi's reaction was immediate. His fists clenched, knuckles whitening, and a vein pulsed angrily on his forehead.

Giyu Tomioka, the Water Hashira, remained impassive, though a flicker of surprise crossed his face.

Kagaya nodded. "Very well. Giyu and Tsukiyo shall undertake the mission together."

"We accept the mission, Master," Tsukiyo and Giyu responded in unison. Giyu offered Tsukiyo a rare smile, his nod a silent promise of cooperation and mutual effort to ensure the mission's success.

As the days passed, Tsukiyo found herself gradually opening up to Giyu in ways she hadn't anticipated. Their conversations, once formal and sparse, became a source of comfort and understanding. Each passing day deepened their bond, their shared experiences at the Mountain Village mission forging a friendship that became a beacon of light in Tsukiyo's otherwise tumultuous world.

Meanwhile, Sanemi observed from a distance, a foreign feeling tightening in his chest with each passing moment. He watched the growing camaraderie between Tsukiyo and Giyu, a sense of unease gnawing at him. The sight of their easy interactions left him with a pang of emotion he couldn't quite name—was it jealousy?

The meeting took an unexpected turn when a messenger entered the room hastily. "Master Ubuyashiki, urgent news."

Kagaya turned to the messenger, his expression calm yet attentive. "You may speak."

The messenger bowed deeply. "Tomioka-sama has been summoned to address an urgent matter involving a high-priority threat. Shinobu-sama has requested his immediate assistance."

Kagaya nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "It is as it must be. Giyu, my child, your presence is required elsewhere. Go swiftly to aid Shinobu."

Giyu bowed and excused himself from the meeting, a palpable tension lingering in his wake.

Kagaya turned back to the remaining Hashiras. "Now, we need a new partner for Tsukiyo for this mission."

A chill ran down Tsukiyo's spine as her gaze met Sanemi's once more. The storm in his eyes had not abated; if anything, it had intensified, a fierce resolve burning within.

Sanemi's voice cut through the silence, harsh and resolute. "I'll take on the mission with Tsukiyo."

Tsukiyo's heart pounded in her chest. She had expected tension but not this unexpected development.

Kagaya nodded approvingly. "Very well. Tsukiyo and Sanemi, you have shown you can work effectively together. It will be beneficial for you to undertake this mission as a team."

As the meeting concluded, Tsukiyo found herself standing beside Sanemi. His presence was a whirlwind of raw energy and barely contained intensity.

"Guess it's you and me," Tsukiyo said, her voice attempting to break the ice.

"Just like how it has always been," Sanemi replied, his gaze softened just a fraction, though his expression remained guarded.