Chapter 47: Different but Same

As Tsukiyo practiced in the courtyard, trying to regain her stamina and perfect her stances, she sensed a familiar presence behind her. Turning swiftly, she saw Giyu approaching, his normally stoic expression softened by concern.

"I thought you went back already. You seem... off lately. Everything okay?" Giyu asked, his voice gentle but probing.

Tsukiyo hesitated, but Giyu had always been a trustworthy confidant. "I've been getting these letters," she admitted, revealing the threats. "They warn me about my position as the Crystal Pillar."

Giyu's eyes darkened with concern as he reached for the letters, but before he could respond, Sanemi stormed into the courtyard, his eyes narrowing at the sight of Tsukiyo confiding in Giyu.

 Without a word, he snatched the letters from her grasp, scanning them quickly.

"And you thought telling Giyu was better than telling me?" Sanemi's voice was rough with frustration. "Do you have any idea how serious this is?"

Tsukiyo and Giyu both looked up, startled by his sudden intrusion.

"Sanemi," she started, her heart racing, "I—"

"You should have told me, Tsukiyo! This is about your safety!" Sanemi's voice cracked with a mixture of frustration and hurt.

As tension mounted between them, a sudden uproar from the Butterfly Mansion shattered the uneasy atmosphere. Tengen, in a blur of motion, attempted to whisk Aoi Kanzaki and Naho away. Kanao intervened, grappling with Tengen to prevent him from leaving with the girls.

"Please, Tengen-sama, let us go!" Naho pleaded, her voice trembling with fear.

Tanjiro arrived just in time to witness the scene, his expression a mix of concern and confusion. "What's going on here?" he demanded, directing his question at Tengen.

"I need female slayers for my mission," Tengen responded, his tone strained as he tried to justify his actions.

"But Naho isn't even a demon slayer!" Kiyo protested, her voice rising with indignation.

Tanjiro stepped forward, his brow furrowed in thought. "Take me and my team instead," he offered, as he referred to Nezuko, himself, Zenitsu and Inosuke.

Sanemi scowled at the interruption. "Get lost, all of you!" he snapped, his tone brooking no argument.

Tengen, ever the curious soul, couldn't resist butting in. "Woah, what's happening here?" he inquired, his interest piqued by the serious atmosphere among the Hashiras gathered at the Butterfly Mansion.

Sanemi shot Tengen a withering glare. "None of your business, Tengen. Gather your crew and leave," he ordered, his voice dripping with irritation.

Tengen offered a mock salute, his tone light despite the tension in the air. "Alright, alright, we're going. Just try not to kill each other," he quipped before swiftly retreating with his group.

As the commotion died down and the others dispersed, Sanemi turned his attention back to Tsukiyo. His expression softened slightly, though the storm of emotions still flickered in his eyes. He locked gazes with her, silently urging her to respond.

Tsukiyo's heart raced as she struggled to find the right words. The weight of Sanemi's disappointment bore down on her, making it difficult to articulate her thoughts.

Giyu, sensing the tension, took a step back, offering them both a moment of privacy. "I'll leave you two to talk," he said quietly before retreating to a respectful distance.

Left alone with Sanemi, Tsukiyo felt the weight of his gaze, a mixture of hurt and concern. She took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves.

"Sanemi," she began, "I didn't tell you because..." She faltered, unable to meet his eyes.

Sanemi's jaw clenched, his frustration evident. "Because what, Tsukiyo?" he pressed, his tone softer now, tinged with a hint of desperation.

Tsukiyo swallowed hard, her hands trembling slightly. "Because I didn't want to burden you," she admitted finally, her voice tinged with regret. "I thought I could handle it on my own. Things have been... different between us."

Sanemi's eyes softened slightly, the anger giving way to a deeper emotion. "Different or not, I still care about you. You shouldn't have to handle it alone," he murmured, his voice laced with remorse.

Before Tsukiyo could respond, a blood-curdling scream pierced the air, freezing them both in place. They turned towards the mansion, where a dark, shadowy figure loomed ominously at the entrance, its eyes glowing with malevolent intent.

"What is that?" Tsukiyo breathed, her voice trembling as she clutched Sanemi's arm instinctively.

Sanemi's gaze hardened, his protective instincts flaring. "Stay behind me," he ordered, drawing his sword as the shadow began to move toward them, a chilling laughter echoing through the courtyard.