Chapter 39: Beneath the Weight of Healing

By the time they reached the estate, the sky was fully bright, the sun casting a golden glow over the scene. Shinobu and the other Butterfly Estate members rushed out to meet them, their expressions turning grim as they saw Rengoku's condition.

"Bring him inside," Shinobu instructed, her voice calm but urgent.

Tsukiyo stayed by Rengoku's side as they carefully placed him on a cot. She worked alongside Shinobu, her hands steady as she assisted in treating his wounds.

Rengoku's eyes fluttered open, and he reached out, gripping Tsukiyo's hand weakly. "We did well," he whispered, his voice barely audible.

Tsukiyo nodded, her eyes filled with unshed tears. "Yes, we did," she replied softly. "All the passengers on the train are safe too, because you protected them with all your might."

Hours passed in a blur of medical procedures and whispered words of encouragement. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Shinobu stepped back, wiping her brow.

"He will recover," Shinobu said, her voice a blend of relief and caution. "But his injuries were severe, so he may take longer than expected to heal."

Tsukiyo's heart ached at the thought, but she forced herself to focus on the positive. "As long as he recovers fully," she whispered.

Shinobu turned to Tsukiyo, her expression gentle but firm. "You should tend to yourself as well. You used up so much energy fighting and spent hours trying to carry and save Rengoku. You need to take care of your own body too. Come on, let the girls tend to your wounds."

Tsukiyo shook her head, her eyes filled with sadness. "These are just minor injuries. They're nothing compared to what Rengoku has been through."

Shinobu placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You did everything you could, Tsukiyo. Rengoku's survival is thanks to your efforts as well. You need to be strong and healthy to continue supporting the Demon Slayer Corps."

Tsukiyo nodded reluctantly, feeling the weight of her exhaustion. "You're right," she admitted softly. "But it's hard not to feel like I should have done more."

"You were there for him when he needed you most," Shinobu said gently. "That's what matters. Now, let us take care of you so you can continue to help others."

"Where are Tsukiyo and Rengoku?!" While the girls tend to Tsukiyo's injuries, Sanemi burst into the Butterfly Estate, grabbing Aoi by the shoulders and shouting in her face. "I heard they faced an Upper Moon! Where are they?!"

"Calm down, Shinazugawa. Tsukiyo is here, and we just managed to save Rengoku. His injuries are quite serious, so he will need more time to recover. Please don't scare Aoi like that," Shinobu intervened, her voice steady as she tried to calm Sanemi.

Sanemi released his grip on Aoi and marched towards Tsukiyo. He stared at her, his eyes intense, before muttering under his breath, "You're fine, thank goodness..."

"What's wrong, Sanemi? Were you looking for me?" Tsukiyo asked, her tone gentle but curious.

"Idiot! I heard that you and Rengoku fought Upper Moon Three!" Sanemi's voice was laced with frustration and concern, not answering her question directly. His intense gaze softened as he took in Tsukiyo's slightly battered but determined appearance. The frustration in his eyes was evident, but beneath it lay a deep layer of concern.

"Yes, we did," Tsukiyo replied, meeting his eyes steadily. "It was a tough battle, and Rengoku is in critical condition," she continued sadly.

Seeing the sadness in Tsukiyo's eyes, Sanemi's expression softened further. Despite his gruff exterior, he couldn't bear to see her upset. Taking a step closer, he hesitated for a moment before reaching out to gently place a hand on her shoulder.

"Tsukiyo, I know it was a tough fight," Sanemi began. "But you did everything you could. You're one of the strongest Demon Slayers I know, and Rengoku is lucky to have you by his side."

Tsukiyo looked up at him, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. She appreciated his attempt to comfort her, even if it came from someone not known for his sensitivity.

"Thank you, Sanemi," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "I just... I feel so helpless seeing him like this."

Sanemi's grip on her shoulder tightened slightly, his own frustration at the situation evident. "I know, but Rengoku is tough. He'll pull through this, I'm sure of it."

Tsukiyo nodded, finding comfort in Sanemi's words. Before she could react, she felt herself being pulled into Sanemi's chest. The suddenness of the hug shocked her. After a moment of hesitation, Tsukiyo returned the embrace, feeling a sense of warmth and reassurance in the unexpected gesture.

Despite Sanemi's awkwardness, Tsukiyo wasappreciative of his attempt to comfort her, knowing that even he, with histough exterior, was there to offer support.