- Eighth -

When Jungkook walked through the door of the reception hall, he was surprised by the minimalist decoration. He knew his mother well enough to know that she liked to do things big. She loved to brag and knowing that her future husband was a big CEO, Jungkook would have thought that the decoration would be much more extravagant than this. There was no mistaking it, he thought it was very nice, but it was the opposite of Soyoon's personality. Well, maybe it was for the best.

He walked forward, detailing the place with a sigh. He'd thought he'd be meeting his uncle at this event, but he had called him earlier in the week and apologized: a business trip had come up at the last minute, and he couldn't refuse. So Jungkook found himself alone, surrounded by people he didn't know at all. He had never met his mother's friends, the only people he had ever talked to were his grandparents. And even then, they weren't really close.

"Jungkook, there you are, I've been looking everywhere for you."

The young man turned around and noticed that a man in his sixties was walking towards him, his arms slightly open, as if he was welcoming him happily. What hypocrisy... Jungkook adjusted his suit jacket, and quickly joined him.

"Grandpa..."

The old man patted him on the back, quickly taking him in his arms.

"I'm glad you came, Jungkook."

"And so am I..."

The teenager tried a smile that was meant to be sympathetic, but after thinking about it and seeing his grandfather's slight disappointment, he suspected that the result would not be very conclusive. Well, he had to divert his attention, quickly.

"Anyway, it's very nice, Grandpa. The person who did the decoration is really good!"

"Oh, I agree with you, it's very nice!" said the old man happily.

"I guess Mom picked it out, she has good taste..."

Jeon bit his cheek, immediately a little less confident. He couldn't admit that his daughter had wanted to do something fairytale-like, but that her fiancé had put so many stops to it that he had ended up doing the decorating himself. Soyoon had given her parents such a hard time that the old man had to take a few holidays abroad to make sure he had some peace.

"Yes, let's say that..." Jeon replied vaguely.

They each grabbed a glass of champagne and emptied it silently, not knowing what to say to each other. On the other hand, they were kind of used to these awkward reunions, especially Jungkook. He wasn't even affected anymore, he found it almost amusing to see the old man racking his brains for topics of discussion.

"You said you were looking for me..." Jungkook continued. "Did you want to tell me something in particular?"

Jeon snapped back to reality, and smiled widely.

"Oh yes, I almost forgot! I wanted to introduce you to your future stepfather!"

Jungkook almost choked at the word. His stepfather? His own mother already didn't want him in her family, how could a man he didn't even know consider him his stepson? Ah, his grandfather's disillusionment was almost laughable.

"Grandpa, I'm not sure he wants to meet me, it's better if I stay out of sight..."

"Don't talk nonsense, on the contrary! When I told him about you yesterday, he was offended that he hadn't met you yet! In fact, it was he who asked me to look for you."

Oh, that's a surprise... Jungkook couldn't contain his little embarrassed smile. Finally, someone here wanted to see him, even if it was a complete stranger.

"Ahah, if you insist..." The teenager relented.

He let himself be guided by his grandfather, who discreetly led him out of the reception hall, which was beginning to fill up nicely. They walked through a large flowery garden, and made their way to a large stone building, which left Jungkook speechless. Wow, this man must have been really rich to afford to book a complex like this. They entered the building, and after walking along a few corridors, they came to a door, behind which people seemed to be bustling.

"This is the place." Jeon pointed out.

The old man gave the door three short sharp knocks before Jungkook could reply, and waited for a vague 'come in' before entering the small room. In the centre of the room was a tall, dark-haired man with his back to him, who seemed to be inspecting himself in the wall mirror, readjusting the buttons on his shirt.

Probably the groom. Jungkook thought.

Another man was standing on the wall opposite him, watching the groom get ready, looking thoughtful. When he saw the two men enter, he stood up and tapped his friend on the shoulder.

"Well, you don't need me here anymore." he said. "I'm going to join Mina in the reception room."

"Okay, see you later, Hobi."

The man greeted them with a friendly smile before slipping away.

"Taehyung, I brought him back for you."

The groom turned around as he replied.

"Good, it's about time I-"

He stopped when he saw him.

"...I meet him..." he sighed in shock.

Jungkook was no better: he had literally frozen in place, his eyes wide, unable to breathe. This was a joke, right? Yes, it couldn't be real.

The two men stared at each other for a moment, not knowing what to do or say. They just stared at each other, fear and incomprehension evident in their eyes.

"Is there a problem?" Jeon called out to them, not understanding in the least what was going on.

This question brought Taehyung out of his thoughts, and he forced a smile.

"No, not at all. On the contrary, it was time he and I got to know each other."

He stepped forward with his hand outstretched, his fake smile still stuck to his face.

"Let me introduce myself, I'm Kim Taehyung."

Jungkook forced himself to smile too and shook his hand.

"Jeon Jungkook. Nice to meet you, Taehyung."