- Forty-fifth -

Soyoon was ecstatic. Sitting comfortably in her velvet armchair, she was facing Taehyung, whose eyes were riveted on the menu. This morning, he had asked her to go to the restaurant, and he had come to meet her there on his lunch break, his briefcase slung over his shoulder. They hadn't exchanged a single word apart from brief greetings, and she thought he looked a bit moody, but she didn't really care. Because he'd invited her. That was all that mattered: she had his undivided attention again.

A waiter approached their table, attracting the woman's attention.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Have some wine." Taehyung said to his wife, without looking at her. "Choose the one you like."

"Don't you want anything?"

"Take a bottle."

She nodded happily and wandered around the wine list, naturally choosing one of the most expensive. Taehyung didn't question her choice, leaving her to order freely. The waiter returned a few minutes later with their order, and served them each a glass. And even he could feel the icy atmosphere surrounding the large table.

Taehyung waited for the young man to leave before grabbing his glass and taking a long sip. Soyoon did the same, but with more scepticism. She didn't really like Taehyung's behaviour anymore. He seemed to be ignoring her again. And she didn't like that one bit.

"What's wrong with you? Why have you been sulking for the last few days? Is it because of work? Because if it is, I don't see why I should have to pay the price!"

"It's not work."

"So there is something wrong. If it's not work, what is it?"

"You'll find out soon enough. For now, drink."

The woman clicked her tongue in frustration, but decided to go along with it and swallowed a good half of her glass in one gulp.

It was worth taking the most expensive wine to drink it like that... Taehyung thought, rolling his eyes.

Suddenly, the restaurant door opened, ringing the little bell that hung on it. The noise naturally attracted the attention of the two adults, and Soyoon almost spat out her drink when she saw who had just entered the restaurant.

Jungkook was staring at them with his big doe eyes, fear and incomprehension in his gaze. Jin had convinced him to meet Taehyung in this restaurant, but he'd never told him about his mother. It hadn't been planned at all, and if he'd known, he'd never have come. Besides, she didn't seem particularly happy to see him either.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" she shouted. "Are you following us now, you rat?!"

Jungkook took fright, tears in his eyes, and was about to turn back, when Taehyung's deep, authoritative voice cut him off.

"Shut up, Soyoon." he ordered her coldly.

"What?! But-"

"I told you to shut up."

The man exuded an imposing, almost terrifying aura. She could only submit, and shut her mouth. He then turned to Jungkook, but his gaze had changed: it was softer, more benevolent.

"Come and sit down, Kookie." he told him, pointing to the seat next to his.

The teenager hesitated openly, feeling his mother's anger radiate out to him.

"Come on, Kookie, you're safe, I promise." Taehyung continued kindly.

Jungkook could only agree, and came to sit beside him. He could say whatever he wanted, but he couldn't resist Taehyung, it was beyond him.

"Would you like something to drink?" asked the thirty-year-old, completely ignoring the woman ranting in front of them.

"N-No, I'm fine..." he replied in a small voice.

"Not even a soda?"

Seeing that Taehyung wouldn't give up, Jungkook nodded, and the man called the waiter to take another order. He brought it to them immediately, and it wasn't until the three of them alone that Soyoon exploded.

"What the hell is he doing here?! Did you call him?!"

Taehyung nodded.

"Yes, I did."

"But why?!"

"Because I needed to talk to you about something important, and to do that I needed him to be here."

For once, the two Jeons agreed on one thing: they had no idea what Taehyung was getting at. But the serious look on his face didn't reassure either of them.

"And what is it...?" Soyoon asked more calmly, the worry clearly evident in her voice.

Taehyung took a deep breath and rummaged in his briefcase for a moment. He pulled out a small document and placed it on the table in front of the woman.

"I want a divorce."

The words were like a bomb to the Jeons. They both widened their eyes, wondering if they'd even heard correctly.

"W-What...?"

"You heard me perfectly, Soyoon. I want a divorce, and I'm taking Jungkook with me too. There's no way I'm going to risk leaving him by your side."

Jungkook suddenly turned to him, his eyes filling with tears. Everything was going so fast, he was having trouble registering it all. But what he did understand was that Taehyung was choosing him. Him over his mother. And that was enough to warm his bruised heart a little.

"But you can't do that..." Soyoon tried, totally distraught.

"And why not? In any case, this marriage was arranged, it was worthless from the start. Besides, we're too different, you and I, it would never have fitted. A woman who treats her child like dirt, I don't want to live my life with."

Soyoon didn't know what to say. She was in shock. Was he really rejecting her? Her, the one and only Soyoon Jeon? No, he couldn't, no one rejected the great Soyoon-

"I'll leave this document with you." Taehyung continued. "Sign it by the end of the month or I'll send you my lawyer. We'll be off then."

He stood up and turned to Jungkook, who was looking at him with his big doe eyes.

"Come on, let's go, Kookie."

Without really understanding, the teenager nodded slowly and stood up. His gaze wandered between Taehyung and his mother, who was completely livid. She was still having a hard time digesting what had just happened.

"Kookie."

Jungkook snapped out of his stupor and saw that Taehyung was already at the door, holding it open for him. He took one last look at his mother, whom he felt sorry for, for the very first time in his life. Yes, that surprised even him. But at that moment, she looked so miserable that he felt a little pity. She didn't seem so imposing anymore, in fact she looked very small in her big seat.

But it wasn't up to him. She'd lost Taehyung, and it was her own fault. So he turned away and left the restaurant in his turn.