Chapter 22 🔞

The Hwang family had been fractured for years, but today marked a new beginning. Mr. Hwang, the patriarch, had invited everyone to a grand reunion at their ancestral home. His heart was heavy with regret, especially as he thought of his loss son Ji-Hye. He had driven her away, unable to accept her choices, and now he wanted to make amends.

Isabelle, Ji-Hye's widow, arrived with their daughters, Yeji and Lucy. The air was tense as they entered the grand living room, memories of pain and loss still fresh in their minds.

Mr. Hwang stood, his usually stern face softened with remorse. "Isabelle," he began, his voice trembling, "I owe you an apology. I wronged Ji-Hye and my grandchildren. I pushed him away when he needed me the most, and I can never forgive myself for that. But I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive an old man who has realized his mistakes too late."

"Mr. Hwang, your apology means a lot. Ji-Hye always hoped you would come around. For his sake, and for our children, I forgive you."Isabelle's eyes welled up with tears, but she nodded.

"Yeji, Lucy, I know I haven't been there for you, but I want to change that. I want to honor your father's memory by giving you the life he would have wanted for you."Mr. Hwang then turned to his granddaughters.

"Grandfather, we accept your help, but we also want you to know that we've been strong because of Mom. We want to make her proud."Yeji, holding Lucy's hand, stepped forward.

"We will make her proud together," he promised. Mr. Hwang's eyes shone with tears as he embraced his granddaughters.

As the day progressed, the family began to heal. Isabelle and Mr. Hwang spoke at length about Ji-Hye, reminiscing about his strength and kindness. They shared stories and laughter, slowly bridging the gap that had long separated them. In a corner of the room, Ryujin watched the family with a content smile. She had always been there for Yeji, and now, seeing her family coming together, she felt a sense of peace.

"Thank you for being here," she whispered. Yeji, standing beside ryujin, took his hand.

"Why don't you all stay the night? It's been a long day, and you must be exhausted from the journey." As the evening descended, Mrs. Hwang made a warm suggestion.

"That sounds perfect mom," Yeji said with a grateful smile. Yeji and Ryujin, both visibly tired, agreed without hesitation.

Mr. Hwang, however, excused himself to attend to urgent matters at the company. He promised to return as soon as he could, leaving the family to enjoy the evening together.Gathered around the dining table, the atmosphere was filled with warmth and camaraderie. They began catching up on each other's lives, sharing stories and laughter.

"So, Ryujin, how have you been? Still as headstrong as ever?"Mrs. Hwang turned to Ryujin, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Yes, Ryujin, how many maids have you driven away with your antics? Did Yeji have to step in and save them?"lucy couldn't resist joining in the teasing.

"I've calmed down a lot, really! And I owe you an apology, Mrs. Isabelle, for all the trouble I caused back then." Everyone burst into laughter, the room echoing with joy. Ryujin, slightly embarrassed, scratched the back of his head.

"It's all in the past, Ryujin. We've all grown and changed." Isabelle smiled warmly.

The laughter and light-hearted chatter filled the room as the family and friends enjoyed each other's company. After a while, Yeji excused herself, saying she would head to her room first. This left a perfect opportunity for Ryujin to have a private conversation with Isabelle and Lucy, Yeji's mother and sister.

"I wanted to ask for your permission to court Yeji," Gathering her courage, Ryujin approached the two women. she said, her voice steady despite her racing heart.