Chapter 16

It was a quiet night as we drove back to Yeonjun's condo after dinner at the Jeon family house. The soft hum of the car engine was the only sound accompanying us. I glanced at Yeonjun, whose expression seemed tense. My heart ached knowing I couldn't remember our past, but he had been nothing but kind to me since my accident.

"Yeji," Yeonjun finally broke the silence, his voice tinged with an emotion I couldn't quite place. "Are you okay? You've been quiet since we left."

"I'm fine, Yeonjun. It's just... tonight was overwhelming." took a deep breath, trying to find the right words.

"Is it because of Ryujin?"Yeonjun glanced at me briefly before returning his eyes to the road

"What do you mean?"His question caught me off guard.

"I saw how you reacted when Ryujin hugged you. There was... something there."He tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

"I don't know how to explain it. When Ryujin hugged me, it felt like there was a spark, like we shared something special in the past. But I can't remember anything."I looked down at my hands, twisting them nervously in my lap

"You don't remember anything about us either," he finally said, his voice soft and filled with pain. Yeonjun's silence felt heavy.

"Yeonjun, I'm sorry. I really am. But you have to believe me, there's nothing between Ryujin and me. He's just a friend. And her girlfriend is your sister, Heejin. They're happy together."I reached out and touched his arm.

"It's not just about that hug, Yeji. It's everything. I can see you struggling, trying to piece together your past. And I'm afraid that you'll remember something... or someone else."Yeonjun sighed, pulling the car into the parking garage of his condo building. He turned off the engine but didn't make any move to get out.

"Yeonjun, you've been by my side through all of this. You've been patient and understanding. That means more to me than anything. I want to remember, but right now, all I can do is take it one day at a time."I shook my head vehemently.

"I just want you to be happy, Yeji. Whether you remember us or not, your happiness is all that matters."He finally looked at me, his eyes searching mine for reassurance.

"Thank you, Yeonjun. For everything."Tears welled up in my eyes as I leaned over and hugged him tightly.

As we made our way up to the condo, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something important I needed to remember. But for now, I was grateful for Yeonjun's unwavering support. And maybe, just maybe, with time, I'd piece together the fragments of my past and understand the sparks that lingered in the depths of my memory.

.

.

.

.

Meanwhile, in Ryujin's life,The house felt emptier than usual as we stepped inside, a gift from my mother, Rei. Heejin's silence was louder than any words she could have spoken. She immediately headed to the bedroom without a glance in my direction. I sighed, the tension from the evening still heavy on my shoulders, and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

The hug with Yeji earlier that night lingered in my mind. There was relief in knowing she was safe, but a deep sadness in realizing that her heart now belonged to someone else-Yeonjun, the brother of the woman I was set to marry, yet did not love.

The kitchen felt like a safe haven as I downed another glass of alcohol, hoping to drown the memories of Yeji and the pain of seeing her with someone else. Tears streamed down my face, the sting of lost love cutting deeper than any wound.

"Why does it have to be about social status?" I muttered to myself. "Why can't it be about love?"

I met Yeji when she worked as a maid in our household. It didn't matter to me then, and it shouldn't matter now. I knew Yeji was the first to fall for me, but I fell for her harder. And now, knowing she was in the arms of another, the ache was unbearable.

As I sat there, lost in my thoughts, the muffled sound of voices from upstairs reached my ears. It was Heejin's voice, sharp and agitated. I stood up, curiosity and concern propelling me forward. I moved quietly, my steps unsteady from the alcohol, and reached the top of the stairs. The door to our bedroom was slightly ajar.

I hesitated, not wanting to intrude, but the urgency in Heejin's voice kept me rooted to the spot. I strained to hear the conversation, pressing myself against the wall.

"Why did you let her escape?" Heejin's voice was sharp, filled with anger. "You were supposed to keep her away."

I froze, my heart pounding. Who was she talking to? What was she planning?There was a pause, then a faint, muffled response from the other person. I couldn't make out the words, but the tone was equally serious.

Before I could piece it together, I heard her say, "No one can take Ryujin from me. Especially not now that I'm pregnant."

I leaned closer, the alcohol making it hard to stay quiet, but I needed to know more.

The mystery person replied again, their words still unclear, but the tension in the air was palpable. Heejin's next words sent a chill down my spine.

My blood ran cold. My mind raced, trying to process the revelation and the sinister tone of her words. I couldn't wait any longer. I pushed the door open and walked in, catching Heejin off guard.

"Heejin, who were you talking to?" I demanded, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside me. "Who escaped?"

But for now, I was left in the dark, the echoes of heartache and deception my only companions.

_______________________________
Happy Birthday to our fav Girl Hwang Yeji !!🖤