05.

Bianca Dawson
Take me as I am
•••

As I stood outside Jude's house, I couldn't believe it. I was actually here?

This was the moment I had been waiting for—the chance to finally step foot into his world. I had to remind myself to stay focused, to maintain the composure and professionalism expected of me.

I glanced down at my outfit, ensuring everything was in place. I had opted for a modest yet stylish ensemble, perfect for the occasion. A tailored white blouse paired with high-waisted black trousers, and a classic trench coat. I had accessorized with a delicate gold necklace. And of course, no outfit was complete without cute handbag.

Taking a deep breath, I pressed the doorbell. The door swung open, revealing Denise, Jude's mother, standing on the other side. Her expression was unreadable, and for a moment, I couldn't tell if she was happy to see me or not. But I quickly brushed aside my doubts, plastering a polite smile on my face as I greeted her.

"Hello, Mrs. Bellingham," I said, my voice steady despite the fluttering in my stomach. "Thank you for having me."

Denise nodded curtly, motioning for me to follow her inside. As we stepped inside, I couldn't help but marvel at the surroundings. The house was everything I had imagined it to be, located in one of the five neighborhoods I guessed it would be.

She led me through the house, her pace brisk as she explained the situation. "It's been a long day trying to finalize the new staff," she said, her voice carrying a hint of exhaustion. "The chefs and helpers have impressed me, but the two house managers who were supposed to be interviewed before you failed to show up."

I furrowed my brow in plain confusion, wondering what could have caused such a lapse in professionalism oh noooo. "That's surprising," I remarked, ensuring my tone reflected my concern. "I hope everything is alright."

She nodded, her expression somber. "It's been a challenge, to say the least," she admitted. "But I appreciate your punctuality and that you came because I leave tomorrow and we were hoping to make a decision today."

We? We— as in Jude and her? I thought to myself

I nodded in understanding. This was my chance to make an impression, and I couldn't afford to let it slip away. We stepped into a home office where I sat across her.

"Alright, let's get into it," she continued, her tone businesslike. "Off the bat, I'll be honest, darling, you aren't our first choice. But I'm willing to hear you out."

I took a deep breath, that was harsh but I steeled myself for the inevitable scrutiny. "I understand," I replied calmly.

"You're only 21, and a very beautiful girl I must add, I see where you just completed university, congratulations on that" she smiled, which felt so motherly, my own mother didn't even bother to actually congratulate me. "Why here? Why are you choosing this path?"

"Thank you for your kind words," I smiled. "To address your question about why I want to work here, it's simple: the job market is tough. As a recent graduate with a degree in engineering, I've found it challenging to secure employment that aligns with my qualifications."

Denise raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued by my response. "Go on," she urged.

I straightened my posture, determined to make my case. "While I may appear overqualified or inexperienced for the role of a house manager, I believe my education and skill set equip me with the ability to excel in this position. Engineering has taught me problem-solving, attention to detail, and effective communication—all of which are essential qualities for managing a household efficiently."