Chapter 2

Kent's pov:

Two blue - uniformed guards walk down the row of cells towards me.

The first guard speaks,
"Kent"

"Warden wants to see you."
The second guard informs me.

They cuff me and take me to the warden.

Once we're in the wardens office, I sit down in one of chairs in front of him, wordlessly waiting for the guards to leave.

"So, I'm surprised you had the balls to come to my territory for a negotiation, Sallow. It's brave."

The public doesn't know it but warden Alex does not only run this prison... he leverages his control over it to take a significant stake in the workings of the city's underworld.

"I'll be out soon enough." I say shrugging,
"We have to talk about Ivan."

"Ivan? He's a chicken shit!"

"He's just a kid, but he's getting a foot in the game. But because he's green he's doesn't have the grit or the resources to handle it. He's getting backed into a corner and it's making him ruthless."
I pause for second then continue,
"He's not coming to meetings of the families, he's killing at will - made men, as well as wise guys. He has to be stopped, Alex, or he's going to destroy it for all of us."

I steel myself, staring Alex down.

"I have to admit, Sallow, I'm impressed with your persistence in this matter. I've done good work isolating myself, protecting myself, but you found a way in. Not everyone would come to my turf, and stay so long, just a chance that you might meet with me. I respect that. You're a real capo, a good guy. I'm glad that I know that."

"Do we have a deal?"
I ask getting impatient.

"We have a deal, Sallow."

*************
I leave satisfied. As I walk down the hall, one of the guards turns to me.

"We've been ordered to take you along to your psychological assessment before returning you to your cell."

I glare at him by say nothing.
The guard shrugs,

"Standard procedure, Sallow. All prisoners gotta do it."

Alex is pushing it, making undergo a psychological testing, when I'm getting out tomorrow.

I follow the guards to a room at the end of the hallway, noting that my lawyer is standing outside the door.

My lawyer rolls his eyes and points at his watch, indicating that he'll have me out of here in no time.

I nod my head, then turn my focus on the door.

I'm surprised, when it opens, sits a girl. Not a girl, perhaps, a young woman - twenty one maybe two at the most.

She stands up, clearly anxious, biting her well formed lip and playing with her long auburn hair that are in delicate and soft curls down her back.

Her mouth falls open, just slightly, as she takes me in.

God damnit!

My whole body goes tense at the sight of her.

He green eyes look into mine,

"Um.... My name is Olivia Thompson? I'm here to do your preliminary interview for state psychological assessment?"

I grit my teeth, denying my urge to smile slowly at the fact that her statement are presented as questions.

God! She's perfect, this little angel.

The feral, leashed part of me wants to know what she'd look like with a little bit of the underworld grime smeared all over her.