Chapter 65

Olivia's pov:

Ivan's in a surprising good mood tonight when he swings by, but I don't find out why until right before he's about to leave.

"Oh, by the way, I think I let a little something slip this morning when I probably shouldn't have. Sorry about that. I thought he knew."

Jack sits up straight in his chair, staring at Ivan.

"What are you talking about?"
Jack asks, confused and panic leading his voice.

"I may have let something slip to Kent. About you two."

He gives a little shrug as he points a finger between Jack and Jerome.

"What?!"
Jack shouts, jumping to his feet.

"Whoa. I said I was sorry - could have happened to anyone!"

"Bullshit! You knew precisely what you were doing."
Jerome says angrily.

"I promise -"

"Well, guess it's about time to get to bed."
My dad says, coming out to patio, giving Ivan a hard look, letting him know without any further words that it's time for him to make himself scarce.

Ivan gets the message and cheerfully says his goodbyes. I walk him down to the driveway in silence.

"Did you have to do that, Ivan?"

"I didn't do anything."

"Ivan, you betrayed me again. They are my friends!"

"I'm sorry, Olivia. I actually didn't mean to do it. I thought he knew - it's so obvious."

"Not to Kent. But you didn't have to do that to Jack. It was mean."

"Yeah well, you shouldn't lean on them as much as you do anyway, Olivia. They're going to leave you at some point, after all. They're together. I get why you married Jack - for the baby - but eventually? Those two are going to leave you."

"So, what's your advice? Put all my eggs in your basket? Hang out with you?"

"Well, obviously, yes. But really, Olivia, why do you trust this Jerome guy?"

"What?"

Jerome...... I trust Jerome completely. He's never given me a reason not to.
He has always been there.

He's my best friend and husband's boyfriend - my literal partner in crime now. Why wouldn't I trust him?

"That guy, Olivia? He's shady as hell. He's always looking to get higher - always clinging on to the most powerful person he can and telling them whatever they want to hear. I've done my homework on Jerome Rosello, Olivia - he was born with nothing. And now he's shacked up in a million-dollar shore house, living for free, sleeping with the heir to the Sallow and Bianci fortunes? I mean, come on."

I frown at Ivan, shaking my head, completely unwilling to believe it.

"I mean, is he even actually gay?"

I glare at Ivan. I realise that he is trying to make me doubt my friends.

"Look, Ivan. I appreciate your concern, but Jerome is my friend. I understand that you have a vendetta against Kent, but leave Jack and Jerome out of this."

"But-"

"I'm not done."

Ivan sighs and then nods.

"I know you care about me but you have to stop going after the people around me. I am going to judge Jerome by how he is with me and he has always been a good friend. So stop trying to create shit between me and my friends because what you're going to get is me kicking you out of my life."