Chapter 71

Olivia's pov:

We all stay outside until the sun goes down.

Janeen gets to her feet first, stretching.

"Well, shall we dress for dinner?"

"What's on the menu tonight?"
Jack asks.

"I don't know. Whatever the chef can whip up with hot dogs and wonder bread, I guess."
Janeen says.

Kent audibly sighs behind me, making me laugh.

"Not tickling your taste buds, Kent?"
Janeen says, smirking.

"Who put Olivia in charge of stocking the ship with food?"
Kent asks.

"Hey! Why do you think it was me? Blame your son! It was him!"

Everyone laughs and turns to Jack, his dad in particular raising an eyebrow in inquiry.

Though I know he doesn't really care much about what he gets for dinner as long as there's meat and bread.

"What? My job trained me to smuggle, not to plan menus. I had no idea I was supposed to hire a chef or something - I figured what the crew eats will be fine for us for ten days."
Jack says defensively.

"You took the time to make sure the liquor cabinet was liberally stocked, though."
Jerome says, smirking.

"Well, some things are priorities."

Jack gets to his feet. Jerome gets up too then, and so does my dad.

But when I move to get up Kent's fingers put light pressure on my arm, asking me to stay behind.

I pause for a moment and then lean back as Janeen turns to me while the other three head for the door into the ship.

"Not coming?"

"I think we're going to stay out here for a second longer."

"Okay. Cook wants us at dinner in half an hour - he told me this morning and says he's not keeping it hot for us. Can I get you anything before I go, Olivia?"

"Um -"

Janeen just tilts her head at me, giving me a big smile.

"Just ask, Olivia. You're giving me a new life in Europe, so I can get you something from inside the ship. I think that's a fair trade."

"Could you bring me some of that tea I like? With the ginger in it?"

I bite my lip, eager. The baby's been good all day, but I'm starting to feel a bit of nausea come over me now.

"You got it!"

She gives me a wink. Then she, too, disappears through the door and into the ship.

"Baby giving you trouble?"
Kent asks, worry on his face.

"He or she is annoying like their dad."

I smile, half turning towards him and rubbing a hand up and down my belly.

"The ship has been so steady all day - and I do feel better when I'm out here and can see the horizon. But something just started up, so I think the little turnip is upset."

"Turnip?"

"Yeah. About 17 weeks today. So, the baby's about the size of a turnip."

"Really? And what was it before?"

"An avocado!"

"Olivia, an avocado is bigger than a turnip -"

"Is it?"