Chapter 69

Olivia's pov:

I vomit everything I ate for dinner into the toilet bowl.

I'm sitting on the floor, my cheek pillowed on the back of my hand, which is pressed against the toilet seat.

I can't wait for you to stop making me feel sick, baby.

I keep vomiting when someone opens the bathroom door.

"Olivia?"

"Oh geeze. Sorry, Kent. It's not the reunion you expected, is it?"

He smiles at me, shaking his head, as he closes the door behind him.

"Kent, you don't have to -"

"Don't be ridiculous!"

Kent moves behind me and settles himself on the floor as well.

He stretches his long legs on either side of me and leans against the tiny bathroom's wall, starting to slowly rub my back.

"Do you honestly think I'm just going to sit in the other room while you're sick in here? Waiting for you to finish?"

Kent has always wanted to see me perfect...... choosing my outfits, making sure I always wear luxury brands......

I feel vulnerable that he is seeing me in these conditions.

"I don't know if I like the idea of you watching me barf, Kent. It's not me at my cutest, is it?"

Kent laughs.

"Is it pregnancy? Or sea sickness?"

"I don't know. Both, I think. I haven't really been on a boat before - not a big one like this, not for a long time."

I take a deep breath and push up to my knees.

"Here we go again...."

I quickly rise to my knees and Kent leans forward, gathering back my hair and continuing to brush my back.

"I don't know about all this."

"What do you mean?"

"This new intimacy. Kent, our entire relationship - or whatever it is -"

"Relationship."

"Fine. You've always kept me at a distance, and the intimate aspects of our lives remain a mystery to me. Like, for example, I've never even seen you shower. And now we're living in close quarters, and you're watching me barf?"

"What? Do you want me to move to the cabin next door? Give you your privacy?"

"No! I just....... you like me to be....... perfect, to come waltzing down the stairs every day dressed in my cute little outfit, my hair all done. You're going to be grossed out when you discover that I'm......... real. And pregnant, which is a whole different level of real."

Kent sighs, and dips his head to press a quick kiss to my forehead before hastily bending lower.

Before I know it I gasp to find that he's scooped me up into his arms. I laugh a little in my surprise.

"I'm a little ashamed of myself. If you've taken my bullshit boundaries as anything about you. You're perfect, every iteration of you...... Olivia - perfectly-dressed Olivia, throwing up on a container ship Olivia - they're all very good."

I let out a laugh, embracing him with my arms around his neck.

It fills me with a sense of joy to hear him say it, though I must admit...... there are still lingering hesitations within me.