Chapter 18

Olivia's pov:

BAM!!

The sound resonates through me and my head snaps in the direction of the sound.

"Kent.... What's happening?"

BAM!! BAM!! BAM!!

The sound echoes throughout the space.
Kent throws himself over me, blocking me with his body, pushing me towards the far wall.

Jack is next to me in an instant crouching down, pulling me with him. The room starts to fill with grey fog.

"Is it Aldens men?"

Kent ignores me, turning to Jack.

"Smoke grenades! You know what to do!"

Jack turns to me, taking my hand and looking me seriously in the face.

"We're under attack, Olivia! We've got to run!"

Jack grabs me by the hand, pulling me to the south side of the room where a terrace balcony runs.

Kent is close behind me, providing cover.

There's a door there at the corner of the room and I'm filled relief when I see it and suddenly, a man jumps in front of it.

I stop short and start to pull Jack back, but my act is disrupted when I hear gun go off right next to my ear and I flinch but do not scream.

The man falls and Jack bolts forward, dragging me with him, I turn slightly to look behind at Kent and see a gun in his hand.

"Warning would have been nice!"
I yell at him pissed because my ears are ringing.

"Go, Olivia!"
Kent shouts back at me and I roll my eyes.

I'm surprisingly calm and I can't understand why. I'm sure the fear and panic will catch to me later.

I turn my attention back to Jack, who reaches the door and pushes it open, pushing me against the wall.

Kent darts out, quickly scanning, then I hear more gun shots, see his finger pulse again as he shoots.

"Clear!"

Jack pulls me through the door. I run ahead of Kent then he follows closely behind me, watching our backs.

I look down and realise I'm stepping over bodies - there blood painting the floor.
One of the men on the ground moans, reaching for his gun and I kick it away before he can reach it.

We run to the end of hallway and wait for Kent to pass me. He goes down stairs first, expertly sweeping the area.

"Clear! Hurry the fuck up, Jack!"

When we get outside, there's a moment of quiet as we stand close to each other.

"Listen to me. I don't know who did it, but this is a setup, targeted us. They want one of us - maybe all of us. Maybe just Olivia. So we have to get out of here, fast. We're going to make a run for it. Across the greens, into the darkness. Head for the trees, and then keep going. When I say go, you two run. Whatever you do. Don't. Look. Back."