Chapter 89

Olivia's pov:

Two months later, we all gather together again.

"I still don't see why we had to put him in a dress. But this sun bonnet we can definitely keep."

"It's a christening gown, you've got to stop calling it a dress, Olivia."
Kent says, shooting me a little glare as he looks around at my gathered friends and family.

I just smile and scrunch my nose at Dominic, who gurgles happily and kicks his feet as he looks up at me.

"You look pretty in your dress."

I lift him higher to press kisses on both his cheeks.

"Would you stop kissing my godchild? You've got lipstick on today, Olivia, you're going to turn him all pink."
Janeen scolds me.

I laugh as I hand Dominic over to my sister and she licks her thumb, scrubbing at her nephews cheek.

The photographer, seeing an opportunity to get the godmother alone with the child, ask Janeen to step away with him.

Janeen, ever vain, gladly goes.

"Congratulations on the day."
Leo says, and I smile, thankful.

Kent and Leo start talking business.

"Olivia, we're going to the bar to have a drink. Do you want to come with us?"

"No, it's okay, I'll stay here."

Kent bends down to kiss me swiftly before turning back to Leo.

I smile as I watch the two of them walk away towards the little bar.

Jack and Jerome are there, chatting with my dad, Titus pounding excitedly around their heels.

I tilt my head, considering that it's perhaps not precisely religious to have a bar at a baptism but..... well.

Jesus turned his blood into wine, so I'm not sure I think he's adverse to a little tipple.

My smile falters, though, as Don Bianci separates himself from his little group of family and slowly begins to make his way towards me.

As much as I know that we're on good terms now, he still makes me nervous.

I shoot a look over to my sister, wishing she'd come, but she's still posing for the photos with Dominic like a damn accessory.

I scowl and jump a little when I hear Don Bianci's voice at my side.

"Congratulations, little Donna."

I do my beast to smile back at him. He laughs, smiling at me genuinely.

"Do I make you nervous?"

"Has no one bothered to tell you, in all these years, that you're a little terrifying, Dom Bianci?"
I say laughing, unable to help myself.

"Well, considering what you accomplished, young lady, I'd say you should consider yourself formidable enough to stand up to the best."

"Standing up I can do. Small talk?"

"Shall we cut to the chase then?"

"There's a chase?"

"I wondered, if you wanted to know what..... happened. With your mother."

"Oh?"

I think about it for a second and then......

"No. I've made my peace with that woman. I don't want to know anything more."

"I understand, Olivia."

He nods then, and I know that it is done.

"Everything all right over here?"