Chapter 72

Olivia's pov:

I'm happy to let my days pass as a strange mix of shared, noisy meals together ended by great deal of time alone with Kent.

But after about a week of being pretty much constantly at each other's side, I realise that it's time for Kent to talk to his son.

Jack and Kent have been tiptoeing around each other and I know they need a little push.

"You have to talk to Jack, you know."

"What?"

He frowns down at me over the reading glasses I picked out for him.

He's already awake, letting me sleep in a bit while he enjoys a cup of coffee and reading some international news on a tablet.

"Seriously. You have to talk to him -"

I yawn and reach for his coffee.

"You won't even like this. There's no sugar or cream -"

Kent pulls the coffee out of my reach and makes me scowl.

"Kent, I'll throw you overboard. Little baby bell needs the caffeine."

"Well, tell pepper to get her own."

He makes me laugh. So I sigh and pull myself out of bed, and head for the French press.

"I'm serious, though. You have to talk to him."

I pour my cup, add sugar and cream, then return to bed, curling up beside Kent, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Why? Is there....... Is something wrong?"

"Kent, I will not tolerate my child's father and my child's brother having this shitty relationship. You have to talk to him!"

"I have talked to him! I've -"

"Not one-to-one. You've been avoiding it."

Kent scoffs but I look up at him, raising my eyebrows and calling his bluff.

"I don't think I'm ready to talk to him."

"Why though? You and Jack love each other - we all know you do. But you two never sit and talk."

"Because we never have. It's...... different with us. We've had twenty - plus years of not speaking to each other about anything...... significant. About how we feel or what we think. It's a difficult pattern to unlearn."

"Well, you do those things with me. It's not like you can't talk about your feelings."

"I barely tell you my feelings, Olivia. You...... intuit them."

I realise that I'm have to bring out the big guns.

Kent wants to avoid the agony of opening up to his son.

And I love them both and I want them to have a good relationship. Furthermore, I want our baby to grow up in a healthy environment where their father and brother have a good relationship.

"Well, I'm very sick, and I want my sister, and I want to be alone."

"What?"

"I want you to bring my sister to me so she can nurse me to health, and I want you to leave me alone while she does."
I flick a hand at him in dismissal.
"So, go away. I need girl time."

"Olivia......"

He shakes his head.

"Go! Honestly, Kent. I'm sick of you - we haven't left each others side in a week -"