Chapter 81

Olivia's pov:

I stare, completely baffled, at my mother - who I barely remember - but it is absolutely undeniable, instantly, who she is.

Not only because she looks exactly like me, but because........

But my mother is dead!?

I blink at her, completely confused, tears filling my eyes in response to the insane rush of emotions that fills me.

"Don't cry, Olivia."

"W-What?"

"You always were a little silly and emotional. I think you got that from your Italian side."

She stands up with a sigh, looking at me from head to foot.

"And it looks like you went and got yourself pregnant. That was foolish of you, wasn't it?"

"I - what?"

Is she - is she for real? Am I dreaming or something?

"Pay attention, Olivia!"

She shakes her head at me, and then glances once at the little dog in my arms, and rolls her eyes.

She turns away, heading across the room to a little table, where she opens a bottle of water and takes a sip.

And I purse my lips, and draw myself up, and try to remember frantically precisely who I am - a powerful, rich, ruthless woman.

Because right now? In front of my mother? I feel every bit the lost little girl she left behind.

Tears start to spill down my cheeks despite myself. Ivan, seeing them, comes to my side.

"All right, Victoria, let's get on with it."
He says.

My mom turns her smirking gaze to Ivan now.

"You told me you were close to her, Ivan, but you didn't say you were in love with her."

"I'm not!"

"Really? So protective of someone you...... don't love. You must be a real pitbull for the girl you do care about."

My mouth is open but I snap it shut at this, my mums cruel to both of us somehow snapping me more back to myself.

Why the hell he's working with her if she treats him like this?

I glance back at her, my eyes narrowing.

Is she deliberately putting me on edge? I'm her daughter - why make it so clear from the start that she has no familial affection for me?

I have thousands of questions. I have to know what is happening right now.

"What is this? Why did you bring me here? What the fuck do you want?"

"There she is. This must be the girl I've heard so much about - who has become so accomplished in crime in so short a time. I knew you couldn't be a complete idiot."

I straighten my shoulders.

"You can stop it now, you know, I get it. You're here on business, not some kind of tearful reunion. If you don't want me to think of you as my mother, then the message is received."

"Good. I'm glad to see you can be rational."

She raises her eyebrows at me.

"Start fucking talking. Why am I here?"

I step further into the room so that I can see both Ivan and my mother at once.

"What is this all about? Because you two might think that you've been clever, grabbing me off the side of the road? But my people are not without resources, and you do not have a lot of time before they come through that door. And as it seems, you don't see me as your daughter, so I won't see you as my mother either."