Chapter 3

Olivia's Pov:

I'm driving home and I can't get my encounter with Kent out of my mind.

I still can't believe he's Jack's father!

The way he looked at me, the touch of his skin against mine.....

And what did he mean by saying we would see each other again?

He's a powerful man, I am sure he can get out of jail if he wants..... will he come for me?

The thought of seeing the lethal man again sends a shiver down my spine.

I don't know how to feel, but I know he's a dangerous man, who I need to stay away from.

Besides he's my ex - boyfriend's father.

I park in front of my house.

I sit in the car for a few minutes, trying to process everything that happened today.
Then when I'm ready, I head into the house, ready to face my family.

"Olivia!"
My older sister, Janeen, greets me as soon as I walk through the door.
She comes over giving me a big hug.

"Kid, how was your first day?"
My father asks me, kissing my forehead.

"It was...... ok."
I say under my breath, as I go to the fridge to get a cold water bottle.

"And where's is that boyfriend of yours?"

"Don't start Janeen."
I tell her before walking away.

For some reason Janeen has never been happy about my relationship with Jack.

"I'm just saying. It's a red flag when a guy doesn't want to meet her friends and family. I mean, who even is this Jack guy anyway?"

Dad jumps in,
"I'm just saying. I think you should trust Olivia a little more. She's a clever girl."
He turns and looks directly at me.
"Aren't you kid?"

"Dad, I'm smart enough but I'm not a kid anymore, time to update the nickname."

"Never! You're my kiddo forever!"
I just smile.

Janeen brings me a plate with a sandwich, patting me on the head.

Even though I'm not related by blood, she treats me just as any condescending big sister would.

I came to live with David and Janeen, when David married my mum.
Even after my mum died in a car accident only two years after the wedding....
David never game me any reason to think him as anything besides my dad. I love him as much as any blood relation.

I have no memories of my biological father and no idea where he is.

"So, what is it about this guy. There must be something about him, especially because you've never called anyone your boyfriend before."

I blush. She's right but....
Well they don't know yet that my first relationship had already ended in disaster.

"Well... he's really sweet to me. He's a gentleman like most men."
And also gay but I promise to never share that.

The smile falls from my face.
I eat my food quickly, eager to get away from this conversation.

"He's...... gentle?"
Janeen asks, raising an eyebrow, her voice filled with skepticism.
I look at her, confused, and nod.
She laughs.

"Oh, poor Olivia!"

"What? What's wrong with that?"

"What he only touches you very delicately? Squires you around town? Talks to you about books?"