Chapter 11

Olivia's pov:

Alden narrows his eyes at me and looks back at Kent. I'm shocked he hasn't addressed me yet.

I stand awkwardly in front of him and Jack quietly takes my hand, giving it a squeeze of support.

"Is this for real, Sallow?"

Kent nods slowly.
"We did a test. It's a 99% genetic match for paternity. I can show you the paperwork upstairs, and you can have it verified by your own doctors. But, with that kind of poof at hand, Alden... why would I lie?"

Alden nods and returns his gaze to me, staring for a moment.

Then, he shocks me by breathing out a huge breath of air and rubbing a hand down his face.

"You look like your mother!"

My mouth falls open when I see the glimmer of tears in his eyes.

I feel confused.
He looks like he really has feelings for my mother.

"Where is she?"

Suddenly, I blurt out the truth not really thinking.

"She's dead"

Alden face falls minutely.
Surely, after all these years, he knew it would be unlikely that she would be alive, but still - he's upset by the news.

"When?"

"Years ago. I was young - I had just turned six."

"How?"

"Car accident. They said.... They said that she went fast. No pain."

He nods sharply and then turns his head away, gathering himself together.

"And where is she been laid to rest?"

"In a small cemetery by our home - in the churchyard. I can take you there... if you want..."

He's angry then, instantly, his emotions snapping from sadness to anger at the flip of a switch. He turns his burning eyes to me.

"In a churchyard? He didn't respect her, then, the man she left me for. To bury her in a churchyard, when she deserves to lay in state, in a mausoleum."

I find my own emotions turning, then, from pity to anger.

How dare he suggest my dad, David, was anything but an angel in our lives?

"My dad was wonderful to my mother!"
I say, not considering my actions as I take a step forward.

Jack holds my hand tighter, in warning that comes too late -

"He was nothing!"

"He raised me! He took care of my mother and me! And when my mother died, just two years after their wedding, he took me in and raised me as his own daughter. He was the husband and father you could only been in your dreams!"

Lorenzo looks extremely hurt, hurt by my words but I didn't care.
David is my father, not this stranger.

"He kept you from me!"
The words rip from Lorenzo's mouth.
He takes a heavy step towards me, trying to intimidate me, I wasn't even slightly afraid.

"Tell me the truth, girl. Did he know about your parentage? Did he know where she came from, who your real father was?"

Unable to deny it, I stay silent keeping my face in an emotionless stare.