Chapter 20

Olivia's pov:

I drift into an uncomfortable sleep, in the dream, I hear groaning, thick with misery.

Suddenly, someone shakes my shoulder. Jolting me awake, gasping.

I spin in my sheets, terrified, my eyes adjusting to see a dark figure crouched there.

"Shh, shh, baby Olivia, it's all right."

"Faye!"

I reach out towards her but she flinches away. Then puts a smile on her face.

"Faye, what happened?"

"Don't worry about it, baby. How are you, are you okay?"

"Me? Faye, you -"

"Olivia, we do not have a lot of time. Tell me - are you all right?"

"I'm fine"

"Okay, sweetheart. I'm going to go away for a while. But I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to you."

She glances back at the door over her shoulder.
Worry collects in my stomach and chest as I study her face.

"Where? Where are you going?"

"I just gotta get out of here."

She works to keep fear off her face, but I can tell by her quickening words that time is growing short.

"Faye, did he -"

"Don't worry about it, Olivia. Just stay on his good side, okay? He won't do anything to you if you do as he says. Lie if you have to - just.... do what you need to do to survive. A few years ago, I saved his life at a critical moment..... in return, he treats me well and grants me anything money can buy. So, I deserve this. I played on his good faith and lied to him about my identity."

I feel so guilty, it's my fault.
Tears of guilt gather in my eyes. I open my mouth to say something but she interrupts me again.

"Don't do that, little cousin. I'm all right - just like I said - I'm getting out of here."

"So that's real? You really are my cousin?"

"Sure. I knew you the instant I saw you in that kitchen downstairs - knew you were our little baby Olivia."

"But he.... he didn't know?"
She shakes her head at me.
"So you were... spying -"

"Don't ask questions, Olivia, that you don't want to know the answer to."
She say a little harshly.

I snap my mouth shut, not really knowing, now, whether or not I want to know.

So all this time Faye has been spying on Kent and giving the information to Lorenzo.
I can see why Kent was so angry.

"Listen, baby, I need you to do something for me. As family."

She reaches into a pocket of her jeans. She produces a note, pushing it into my hand.
I stare down at it.

"I need you to get this to your dad."

"To - to Alden?"

"No, Olivia. I want you to take it to David, your other dad. Don't be stupid. Of course to Alden."

I hesitate for a second, then nod and take the note.

"And if Kent finds it?"

I don't want to betray Kent.
But I also want to know what's going on.

"You're a smart girl, baby Olivia. I know you can keep this note hidden from Kent. I know what I'm asking you to do, and I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. I promise you, I promise - no one you love will be hurt by you doing this. Okay?"