Chapter 19

Olivia's pov:

"No! Don't you dare Kent! You can take me just let him go!"
I plead and threaten, the attackers look at each other, confused that me and Kent are willing to give our lives for each other.

Kent takes advantage of their distraction to grab a spare gun that had been in the back of his pants.

"Olivia, Jack, get on the ground!"

Me and Jack act in seconds, freeing myself from my attackers grip, I throw myself to the ground.

Bullets fly around me until there's nothing but a dead silence that takes over the place.

"Come on, we have to go!"
Kent says, offering me his hand to help me up, I take it.

Once we are all in the car, Carlos immediately drives away.

Jack takes my face in his hands and carefully looks me over to check that I'm not scratched or bruised.

"How are you, Olivia? Are you hurt?"

"Jack..... I'm f - fine."

My hands are shaking, I don't know whether it's shock still, or perhaps the cold.
I lean back in my seat, trying to stop my body shaking, pressing my teeth together so that they don't clatter.

"Oh my god, Olivia! What should I do for her?"
Jack says turning to Kent.

"Nothing. She'll get through it. Keep her warm. Everyone's first time is rough."
Kent answers.

Jack wraps an arm around me as tears start to leak from my eyes, sliding down my cheeks in a silent torrent.

"I hate this. I hate this, I hate this life. I hate everything it represents. I wish I never met you. I was right to dump you the first time, when -"
I snap my mouth shut. I didn't mean all of it, not really. I don't hate him.

"I'm sorry, Olivia."

"Then let me go."

Slowly, though, he shakes his head. Deep down, I know the choice isn't his. But my bitter, angry tears fall anyway.

Next to me, I feel Kent slump in his seat.
I turn to look at him then and see him looking out the window.
He hangs his head, then, letting out a sigh.
And, shocked, I note that the lines of his face match Jack's.

He feels guilty as well.

**************

I just lie in my bed and stare at the ceiling for a long, long time. I skipped breakfast and no one comes up to get me, which I'm thankful for.

Things moved so quickly last night after we got home. Faye had made a beeline right for me - not even asking how Kent was doing.

I forgot to ask her why she hadn't told me she was my cousin......
But I was so shocked by what happened last night that it didn't occur to me to ask her.

I sit up when I hear the door creek open.
I'm shocked when I see Kent standing in my doorway.

"Come on, Olivia. That's enough."

"Kent, please leave me alone, I'm not in the mood to put up with you today."
I glared at him, falling back into my pillows.
To my surprise, he laughs at me.

"Don't pout at me, girl. It won't work."

He nods to someone behind him in the hallway - the housekeeper apparently, who brings in a tray of food and a stack of clothing.