Chapter 22

Olivia's pov:

Seized with fear, I raise my eyes from the note in Kent's hand to his face.
I don't say a word.

In response, Kent just grabs me by the arm, pulling me up out of my chair and along with him back into the house.

"Dad! Stop! What's happening? What did she -"

"No! You stay here."

"Dad, let her go - don't do this -"

"You stay here. If you kept your woman in line, then I wouldn't have to do this."

With that, he again storms forward, dragging me behind him across the kitchen. Towards the path to the basement.

My blood goes cold when I see where we are heading.

"Kent! Let go of me! Take your hands off me!"

He ignores me, continuing to move forward, tugging me once so that I lose my balance and have to stumble after him.

Then, we are through the door, heading down the stairs, down the little dim hallway, towards...

He's taking me to an adjacent room to the one I witnessed Kent punishing those two men.
A second torture room.

"Kent! Let go of me! I haven't done anything!"

"It's time! It's time you learn your place, Olivia."

Kent pulls me into the room and I stumble the last few steps and stop myself against a metal table across the far wall.

"What are doing? What wrong with you?"

Kent comes to my side, grabbing my right arm and pulling it forward as he moves to the other side of the table.
He still holds my arm firmly in his grip as he goes, making me bend over the table to move with him.
When I'm bent at the waist, my torso stretched across the table, Kent produces a set of handcuffs.
They are attached by their chain to a metal loop on the tables edge.

I try to pull out of his grip, but he hold firm, he snaps the handcuffs tight around my right wrist, attaching me firmly to the metal table.

Then, he looks at me, holding out his hand for it across the table.

"Your other wrist."

"No."
I say absolutely pissed that he thinks he can do this.

"Olivia, this will be much easier on you if you're obedient."

In response I tighten my lips and stand up straight as I can, curling my other arm behind my back.

"No! I'm not some random person you can treat like shit, Sallow. I'm a mafia princess. So let me go now or you will regret it!"

Inside of my head, a very quiet voice is screaming at me to just do as he says. But I've been here long enough to know Kent is going to be cruel no matter what he does......
It's in his blood, or some other intrinsic part of him.

And for fuck sake! I'm so sick of being the good little girl who does what she's told in this world.
It hadn't gotten me anywhere yet, and it's not going to start now, just because he's got me chained to a metal table in the basement.

"I thought being raised by David had neutralised your mafia blood..... but you're an Alden through and through."

Kent lowers himself to look me in the eye. I can see the fire in his eyes. He's enjoying my fight.