Chapter 18

Silas

I slipped on my shirt as someone knocked on my front door. Immediately I was annoyed. I didn't want anyone showing up while she was here and I had forgotten to send that message. All my attention had been on making sure Odette was okay.

I hurried down the hall, focusing on where Odette was in her room. I could hear the shower turn on and knew I had about twenty minutes before she got out. Walking through the entryway I reached the door, pulling it open. Trey stood under the small porch with an unimpressed look. As soon as I the door opened it changed to surprise. I knew why, Odettes scent had already enveloped my house. His eyes darted past me as if he expected to see her. I didn't have time for this.

"What do you want?"

He looked back to me. "Hello to you too," he deadpanned. "Is someone else here?"

"Yes. Odette. What do you want?" I asked again.

"Wow really?"

"Trey in three seconds I am going to hit you."

"Right okay," he moved on but his small smirk came and went. "The Alpha sent me over to ask you if you killed a rouge the other night."

I checked again for Odette. She was still in the shower.

"Yes," I confirmed. "Did he have a problem with that?"

He never had before. It wasn't like anyone had to answer for killing a rouge. Even if it was a pack member from a neighboring pack it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I usually didn't start the fights.

"No." He shook his head. "He was just curious as to why, well actually the pack north of us was asking. They claimed he was an escaped prisoner and had a hunting party out for him. They found his remains this morning."

"I'm assuming they cleaned up the area."

I hoped they did. We were going to pick up her things today and I didn't need her to see that. I knew it was far from her house but I honestly don't know how far I threw pieces of him.

"Yeah, they said it was pretty bad. It was one of the reasons they were asking who did it. They assumed it was another pack of rouges but only found one scent." He paused. "Well two but one was human. They assumed he was stalking another victim."

I clenched my jaws. "He was."

My reaction caused shock and worry to cross his face. "Was it Odette?"

"Yes," I bit out. I hated recalling what I saw before I killed the rouge. Odette shaking and crying on the forest floor was almost painful to remember.

"Is she okay?"

I nodded. "She is now. He wasn't able to physically harm her but he scared her. From what she says he tormented her for a few hours."

Trey didn't look happy but wasn't nearly as enraged as I was. It was understandable. He knew what it was like to have a mate. Any thought of Natalie in the same situation as Odette would make him feel as I did. However she hadn't been so he didn't reach that level.

"Did she see you? I mean I'm assuming you're the reason he didn't hurt her."

I nodded. "Yes, she doesn't know it was me but it scared her all the same."

His expression shifted to sympathy. "I'm sorry man. I know you didn't want her to see you like that, especially when she doesn't even know about you."

I half shrugged. "There was nothing I could do. She's shaken up but I know she'll recover fine. I worry for her future reaction though."