Chapter 25

Odette

I blew on the nails to help them dry faster. The bubblegum pink color glistened back at me, light reflecting off of it from the living room lights.

I was sitting on Silas's couch waiting for him to get home. I had already cleaned everything I could see and done my laundry. I always felt a bit strange staying here while he paid for everything. He was so adamant that I could stay for as long as I wanted without any contribution on my part.

To try and ease my own thoughts I helped clean and cook. I didn't want to just lay around doing nothing. I also couldn't go into my normal town because of how far it is. I would have to drive there and Silas had his car.

It had been a few weeks since my nightmare and things were still good. Silas and I were closer than ever. I slept with him every night since. We hadn't actually had sex though, however with all the other things we were doing I knew it was a matter of time. And I was good with that. If anything he was the one keeping it slow—well semi-slow.

We spent every minute he wasn't working together. Whether it was here or out, we didn't part much. I liked it. I liked that we were so close, that everything felt so natural with him. I knew without a doubt I was falling in love with him.

A sharp ding from behind me had me getting up from my spot. I fanned my hands as I walked across the open floor plan into his kitchen. I was careful with my fingernails as I grabbed a towel. I opened the oven and pulled out a fresh batch of cookies. They were gingerbread which were Silas's favorite but I only planned to set a few aside for him today.

Since Silas left early this morning I was bored out of my mind and I figured I would try to find Natalie. She told me a while ago that she spent most of her free time inside the security house. I was hoping she would be up to just hang out and I didn't want to go over empty handed.

I slid the two trays onto the top of the stove to cool a bit. I paused to touch on my nails, making sure they were completely dry before heading back into my room. Going into the bathroom I washed my hands to help peel off the paint I got on the skin then dried them.

Looking to the mirror I pulled my hair out of the bun it was in. I pinned part of it back while letting the other half hang down in soft waves. I walked back into my room and changed out of my lounge clothes. I put on a long purple dress that had a floral pattern then slipped on my sandals. I knew I would have to walk through the trail to the house but it wasn't very far.

Walking out of my room and back into the kitchen I picked out several cookies and placed them in a container. I moved the small container to the countertop then repeated the action. This time I took the box with me.

I walked out of the house, pulling the door to then checking to make sure I locked it. I knew Silas kept a spare key under a rock near the front so I wasn't worried about getting back in. I headed to the side of his house, then aimed towards the back to the small trail that led to their security house. Natalie had been open about me coming up to visit whenever I wanted, implying Trey was always busy and she would enjoy the company. I was taking that opportunity today.

I had only ever been up here with Silas so I was a bit worried about walking in during an important gathering or something but I hoped I could find Natalie before that happened.

The trail only took a few minutes to walk and it was peaceful. The area was cleaned out well so the forest floor was covered with soft grass and small flowers. The adult trees were all and provided shade but spaced out nicely.

When I reached the giant house I walked up to the door and knocked. Only a few seconds passed before a man opened the door with a confused look on his face.