Chapter 15

Odette

My flip flops echo in the woods as I walk. The forest around me appeared darker than it was because the treetops hid some of the setting suns light.

I knew it wasn't entirely smart to go out this late at night but in the past few weeks I've been here there had been no sign of large animals. Usually I spotted deer or hog but they seemed to stray further away now. At first it concerned me, thinking maybe a predator was scaring them off, but now I wasn't sure why. I hadn't seen evidence of a predator around.

The past few days I took advantage of this revelation by coming home from the town later. Nothing but birds and mice showed themselves on that path. Today I was using this opportunity to go to the pond later than usual. I wanted to swim and the beach was too far. Even if I left now it would be too dark for me to return. I was okay if it was well into dusk but not pitch black.

I reached the pond that was probably close to a mile away from the cottage before setting up my area. The area was grown up a bit but there were patches of laid over grass. I put down a towel there then placed my book and cover up on it before going into the water.

The temperature was cooler due to the shade from above. I didn't mind it so much. Sometimes I liked the pond more than the beach. On the days where I didn't want much noise or motion I could always come here.

For a while I swam around the pond before getting out. I rang out my hair before sitting down on my towel, wiping off my hands on the material. Picking up my book I shifted so I was on my stomach, propping myself up on my elbows before flipping the book open.

As my mind focused on the words my eyes would pick up small noises in the distance. They all sounded like small animals shuffling on the forest floor. After a while I tuned them out.

Something that I had noticed recently was that every book I read now I completely neglected the males physical description. Instead I replaced the image with a tall dark headed man with deep green eyes. He'd have a wide frame and arms covered in black tattoos. His face always had facial hair and his hair was always longer, close to his neck. Of course it was Silas. This was a habit my mind had picked up for a while now and I couldn't seem to stop it, or mind.

As a result now instead of the main male character saying all those dirty things, it was Silas. Once I started hearing them in his voice I couldn't stop. It was deep and rough, even when he tried to make it sweet. I wanted to melt every time he talked. And if he even said half of the things this book guy did...I might actually combust.

Beyond the pond I could hear a large sound, something much bigger than a squirrel rustling in the leaves. I froze as my eyes flickered up in that direction. I couldn't see anything in the distance. When the noise came from my right I jumped into a sitting position. How could it have moved that fast? Seconds hadn't gone by and it was halfway in the other direction.

My eyes scanned the forest but I didn't move. It sounded a bit closer to me but I still couldn't see it. My mind ran through the different predators up here. Coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, bear, and wolf. I knew all of those were terrifying to encounter but I prayed if it was one of those it wouldn't be a wolf. I'd take a bear before another wolf thing attacks me.

The noise echoed again but this time behind me. I turned my body in that direction. It was towards my house. Even with the different locations the noise still was at the same distance. Like it was circling.

Slowly and as quietly as possible I put on my shoes. I didn't know where to run but I wasn't sure I could stay here and wait for it to come closer. Just like I suspected the noise came from my left now, except this time it was mixed in with some heavy puff of air. The noise sent a chill up my spine. It resembled a large animal pushing out its breath, bear might have been a close comparison but it didn't make since. The animal was moving too fast and not making any sounds between its movements.