CHAPTER-40 THE QUEST FOR EMBER PART -II

Author's pov

It is early morning when Ian reaches Los Angeles. Having planned meticulously, he already informed his secretary, Anna, to tell Alaric that he had gone to Switzerland for some work. Ian even messaged Alaric in advance because he knows Alaric better than anyone else. He knew Alaric would try to contact him and he didn't want Alaric to get any hint about him, Estella, and Charlotte being in Los Angeles.

Ian carefully covers his face with a mask and sunglasses so no one can recognize him. His suspicion proves correct when he notices a guy following his actions. Ian manages to deceive the follower and reaches the hotel where Estella and Charlotte are staying. 

He makes a reservation under a different name, takes the keys from the reception, and heads to his room first to drop off his luggage. Deciding to freshen up, he takes a shower since it is early morning.

After completing the shower, Ian decides to check on Estella and Charlotte. He leaves his room and heads to their door. Inside, Estella and Charlotte are sleeping, exhausted from the previous day's efforts. 

Estella hears the doorbell and, half-asleep, opens the door. She finds a man dressed casually with sunglasses and a mask covering his face. Estella cannot recognize it is Ian and asks, "Yes, how can I help you?"

Ian, unable to reveal his face because of the risk, takes his phone from his pocket and starts typing. Estella feels uneasy because the man in front of her is silent and typing on his phone while dressed so suspiciously. The man shows her the phone, which reads, "Estella, I am Ian. Don't shout. Let me in immediately."

Estella steps aside and lets Ian in. Once inside, Ian removes his mask and sunglasses. "Ian, what happened? Why are you wearing this?" Estella asks, bewildered.

Charlotte, awakened by the commotion, joins them in the living area. She rubs her eyes and, seeing Ian, asks, "What's going on, Ian? Why the disguise?"

Ian takes a deep breath and starts to explain, "I didn't want anyone to recognize me or know that I am here. Someone followed me from the airport. I had to lose them before coming here."

Estella and Charlotte exchange worried glances. "So, what's the plan now?" Charlotte asks, her voice tinged with concern.

Ian sits down and explains, "I managed to mislead the follower, but we need to be extremely careful. This person  is  very smart and could be monitoring our movements. We have to act fast and be discreet. 

First, let's focus on finding Ember. We need more information about her connections and whereabouts."

Estella nods, trying to process everything. "We went to her previous company, and found little bit information about Ember. We were at the Doze Cafe yesterday where Ember usually go, but it was closed for renovation. We also visited her old residence but didn't get much information except that she was involved with a guy named Alex."

Ian listens attentively, then says, "Then  this Alex could be a crucial lead. Did you find anything about him?"

Charlotte shakes her head. "No, we didn't get much about him. The landlady only mentioned that he used to be with Ember but left her after some time, and the receptionist also mentioned a guy with whom Ember had an affair and  how she  cheated her company by revealing thier company secrets to him."

Ian ponders for a moment. "Alright, we need to find out more about Alex. If he was involved with Ember, he might know where she is now or at least give us some clues."

Estella looks at Ian, worry etched on her face. "Ian, what about your company? Is everything okay?"

Ian's expression hardens. "The fire was deliberate. Someone is targeting us, and it's not just about the company. I believe it's connected to what we're investigating here. That's why we need to find Ember and get to the bottom of this."