Chapter 37

Clarke's heart skips a few beats before running rampant at a wild and irregular pace. She had finally told Alexandria Evergreen how she felt. And no matter how much she tried to be okay with the possibility of not hearing it back yet or ever, the longer the brunette stared at her with her mouth agape, the lower into her stomach she could feel her heart drop and the more her heart seemed to squeeze painfully.

And when Lexa's body collides with hers and the brunette crashes their lips together, Clarke is finding it difficult to fully enjoy the passionate kiss, although she tries to hide it with everything inside of her.

Of course, she can't do anything but melt into the brunette though when her nimble fingers brush the skin on her sides that's left exposed between the overalls and the sports bra. And when Lexa's thumbs trace the edges of her bra, the soft whimper that leaves her mouth is unstoppable.

But Alexandria does pull away and Clarke can finally see the soft smile on her lips. A smile that drops quickly as green eyes study Clarke's face.

"What's wrong?" Lexa asks, her voice fragile and uncertain now.

"Nothing," Clarke quickly responds before trying to connect their lips again so that the other woman will no longer be able to study her face and read her like a book.

But Alexandria uses her grip on Clarke's exposed sides to push her away and put some distance between them, although her warm hands never leave Clarke's own skin.

"Clarke..." the brunette now says, alarm in her voice. "What just happened? You look upset."

"No, it's really nothing, Alexandria," the blonde says, her gaze distant and her voice too flat to sound convincing, even to herself.

And this time it's Lexa's turn to cup Clarke's cheeks in her hands and lift her face so that she is forced to make eye contact with the other woman. Lexa spends a few seconds gazing into her eyes intently, searching for what Clarke is trying to hide so desperately, and then realization must dawn on her because her eyes grow wide before that gorgeous smile returns to her face.

"Oh..." she says, stroking her thumbs across Clarke's cheeks, "Oh... Clarke... I love you. How is there even a single doubt in your mind about that? I..." Lexa pecks her on the forehead, "Love..." Lexa's soft lips peck her on the nose, "You..." Lexa's lips meet Clarke's own again as she plants a soft kiss there, never once letting go of her face.

Clarke can feel her cheeks heating up under those hands as she finally smiles widely, unable to contain her giddiness at the fact that Lexa did in fact still love her.

"By the way, you are now officially two I love you's behind, so I'd get on that if I were you, because this doesn't seem fair," Alexandria jokingly adds, taking full advantage of Clarke's temporary speechlessness.

"Oh, do shut up," Clarke barely manages to utter through her smile before their lips meet again.

"I love you, I love you, I love you," Clarke quickly repeats three times in a row.

"That's cheating," Lexa says, flustered from their fiery kiss.

"I don't think it is, but I'll say it again. As many times as you want me to. As many times as you'll let me for as long as you'll let me. And there will be plenty of time for me to win this competition," Clarke says, a mischievous grin on her face.

"Oh, so this is a competition now?" the brunette asks, her face serious all of the sudden, "Because I am very, very competitive," she continues, speaking those last two words with her lips already on Clarke's again.

After another few kisses that range from steamy to sweet, Lexa pulls away again with clear hesitation before looking down at her watch and regretfully saying, "I hate to cut this short, but I do have a meeting in less than... Five minutes."