part 11

-

It was Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Snape today.

Star had always been his best student, but that didn’t mean he liked her. In fact, he seemed to almost go out of his way to make her life difficult in the class.

Today was no different.

As the class went on, Snape made snide remarks and gave her extra difficult tasks, clearly trying to trip her up.

Star did her best to ignore his comments and focus on her work. But it was becoming harder and harder as Snape continued to pick on her. 

She could feel the other students watching her, waiting for her to snap.

But she refused to give him the satisfaction.

So far, she had been doing well in his class, and she wasn’t going to let him get to her now.

She answered each question correctly and completed each task with ease. Snape’s frustration was almost palpable.

As the class came to an end, Snape called her aside. The other students were filing out of the room, but Star stayed behind.

"Miss Potter,” Snape said, his voice cold.  “A word, if you please."

Star approached his desk, trying to hide her nervousness. She had a feeling this wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation.

Snape glared at her for a moment before speaking. “Your performance today was less than satisfactory.”

Star raised an eyebrow at his comment.  She knew she had done well in class today, there was no way he could claim otherwise. 

But she also knew better than to argue with him. Instead, she responded in a tone that was slightly sarcastic but still respectful.

"Is that so, professor?” she said.  “And what exactly was unacceptable about my performance today?”

Snape's eyes narrowed as he heard the hint of sarcasm in her voice.

He was used to students being intimidated by him and never talking back, but not her.

"Your answers were lackluster, your execution of spells sloppy,” he said coldly.  “You can do better.”

Star fought the urge to roll her eyes. She knew damn well that her performance today was better than every other student in the class.

Snape sneered at her, his anger growing with every moment. "You're just like your father,” he spat.  “Lazy, arrogant, weak.”

The words hit her like a blow to the stomach. She had heard similar things before, calling her just like his father in a good way, but coming from Snape, saying how lazy she and her father were, they hurt even more.

She clenched her fists, trying to keep her emotions in check. She struggled to keep her emotions in check.

She had had enough of Snape's insults, of his constant put-downs. She would not let him get away with it this time.

With a cold glare, she met his eyes.

"Excuse me?" she said coldly.  “I am not lazy, arrogant, or weak. I am the top student in this school, and you know that.”

Snape's eyes narrowed, but she refused to back down.

"And as for being like my father," she continued, her voice icy. 

“That is not an insult. He may not have been perfect, but he had more courage and bravery in his pinky finger than you have in your entire body."  She glared at him defiantly.