Part 20

-

I guess you could say that they got distanced after Matteo came back from his meeting.

Draco was there for Starlight, while Theodore was there for Matteo.

Star knew something was off.

Matteo had been distant lately, barely spending any time with her, which was very unusual.

She didn't know why, but she couldn't take it anymore. She had to confront him and find out what was going on.

With her heart racing, she made her way to his room, determined to find out the truth.

She knocked on his door, waiting anxiously for him to answer.

There was a moment of silence before the door opened, revealing Matteo standing there, looking at her with a mix of surprise and guilt.

"Star," he said, his voice hoarse. "What are you doing here?"

Star pushed past him and stepped inside his room, closing the door behind her.

She turned to face him, her face determined. "I want to know what's going on," she said, her voice firm. "Why have you been so distant lately? Why have you been avoiding me?"

Matteo hesitated, his heart aching at the sight of her hurt expression. He didn't want to hurt her, but he couldn't tell her the truth.

"It's nothing," he said, trying to brush her off. "I've just been busy, that's all."

Star stepped closer to him, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes.

"Don't lie to me," she said, her voice cracking.

"I know something is going on. I can feel it. Please, just tell me the truth."

Matteo's heart broke at the sound of her pleading. He couldn't hold it in anymore.

He walked over to his bed and collapsed on it, burying his face in his hands.

Tears streamed down his face as he choked out a sob.

"I can't," he whispered, his voice breaking. "I can't tell you. It's for your own good."

Star sat down on the bed next to him and pulled him into a hug. She stroked his hair soothingly as he cried.

"Please, tell me," she whispered.

"I can handle anything. I just need to know. I need to understand what's going on."

Matteo buried his face in her shoulder, his tears soaking through her shirt.

He wanted to tell her, to unburden himself.

Matteo pulled away slightly, looking at her with red-rimmed eyes.

"Promise me something," he said, his voice hoarse.

"Promise me you won't hate me. Promise me you'll still love me, no matter what I tell you."

Star's heart ached to see him so broken.

She cupped his face in her hands, looking into his eyes with unwavering love.

"I promise," she said softly. "I could never hate you. I'll always love you, no matter what."

Matteo's heart felt like it was being torn apart as he looked at her, so trusting and loving. He took a deep breath and steeled himself.

"I'm a Death Eater," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.