part 12

-

As the dinner came to an end, Matteo walked Starlight back to the Gryffindor common room.

Starlight gave him a hug and a small 'thank you' before entering the common room.

Starlight entered her room and was about to change when she heard a knock.

She was taken aback when she opened the door and saw her brother standing there, his face dark with anger. 

She knew he was going to be upset about her sitting with the Slytherins, but she hadn't expected him to confront her so soon.

"What do you want?" she asked, bracing herself for the upcoming argument.

Harry's anger flared as he saw the coldness in her expression.

"What do I want?" he repeated, his voice laced with anger. "I want to know why you're sitting with the Slytherins!"

He pushed his way into the room, closing the door behind him. 

"What were you thinking?" he demanded.

Star crossed her arms, her anger rising at his tone. 

"What's it to you who I sit with?" she spat out.

Harry looked at her as if she had said something crazy. "What's it to me?" he repeated. "They're Slytherins, Star! They can't be trusted!"

Star rolled her eyes. "Not all Slytherins are bad, you know. Just like not all Gryffindors are good."

Harry's jaw clenched, clearly not hearing what he wanted to hear.

"Those Slytherins in particular are bad," he insisted. "They're the sons of Death Eaters!"

Star's eyes hardened. "Just because their parents are Death Eaters doesn't make them bad," she said, her voice firm.

"You of all people should know better than to judge someone based on their family."

Harry looked like he wanted to protest, but Star continued before he could speak. 

"They've been perfectly nice to me," she said. "Which is more than I can say for you lately."

Harry's anger faltered for a moment as her words hit him. He knew she was talking about their recent fight and his possessive behavior.

He tried to cover up his moment of vulnerability by getting angry again. 

"They're probably just trying to use you for something," he spat out.

Star's eyes flashed with anger at his accusation. "Use me for what?" she snapped. "Is it so hard to believe that they could actually like me for who I am?"

Harry didn't answer that, he was silent.

Star looked at him in shock, she knew his silence meant that he agreed with what she had said.

Harry looked away, unable to meet her gaze. He was caught and he knew it. 

She had hit the nail on the head and he had nothing to say in response.

Star could see the guilt and shame on his face, but she didn't feel pity for him. He had brought this on himself.

"So that's it then," she said, her voice harsh.  "You think they're using me because they can't possibly like me for me."

She nodded her head. "You're right. Who would like me?! A girl who's always in her brother's shadows! Who in the world would like me for me?! Is that what you think about me, Harry?!"