The Snaccident

Snaccident - meaning:

Noun

Eating an entire bag of (insert favourite snack here) completely by mistake or
An incident or an accident involving snacks

Lan Zhan opens the door to his brother and lets him into his home, happy to enjoy the routine of it, familiar and grounding. He watches as XiChen carefully takes his shoes off and slides his feet into the slippers that have been his since Lan Zhan moved in; they are adjacent to two other pairs. One is the spare set reserved for guests, and the third is a lot smaller, nearly half the size of the adult ones.

All are pale blue, including the ones Lan Zhan is currently wearing as he turns around and leads the way into the lounge where two steaming mugs of silver needle tea are brewed to perfection and waiting for them.

"A-Yuan is at school?"

"Mn."

"Aaah, I miss our daily tea breaks," XiChen says, sitting in his spot on the couch. He's appreciating the subtle fragrance of the tea before taking a sip.

Lan Zhan doesn't bother answering that; he's too preoccupied by the sight of A-Yuan's bunny, a stuffed white rabbit plushie peeking out at him from behind the other armchair. He goes to pick it up and ends up sitting back down with the bunny in his lap, stroking its long ears.

"Are you still having trouble with A-Yuan eating properly?" XiChen asks, a flash of concern in his honey-coloured eyes.

"Mn. He only eats carrots."

"That's worrying. He's already quite small for his age, and in a developing body-"

"Ge." Lan Zhan stops him from continuing. The last thing he needs is a lecture stating the obvious when he knows everything XiChen is going to say, no matter how well meaning it is.

"Sorry," XiChen smiles sheepishly.

"I've tried everything," Lan Zhan admits.

"You know, MingJue had the same problem with JingYi a few months back. Now he's saying it was just a phase kids go through, but at the time, I know how worried he was. JingYi had just discovered fried chicken nuggets and that's all he ate."

"How did MingJue-Ge invoke a change?" Lan Zhan asks curiously. At this point, he's ready to try anything.

"Actually, he had help." XiChen fishes out his phone from his back pocket and scrolls through it until he finds what he's looking for. A second later, Lan Zhan's phone pings and a notification lights up the screen. "I sent it to you. MingJue says that video really helped and he's a fan now. Apparently, the guy in the video went viral and now he's got a book coming out. You should watch it," he adds, drinking more tea.

Lan Zhan deflates. He had thought MingJue had a miracle cure that XiChen was sharing with him, but if it's just another self-help YouTube wannabe, then Lan Zhan's not interested. But it's not like he can say that; XiChen is way too enthusiastic about his supposed solution to Lan Zhan's problem and so he'll have to be careful about how he handles it.

The conversation moves onto other topics; they discuss the past week, each other's highs and lows, and of course, their Uncle.

Time passes like a snap of the fingers, and too soon, XiChen is standing up and ready to leave. By the door, he puts his shoes on meticulously tying the double bows on his trainers - and Lan Zhan has to bite back a retort about how casual they are, when XiChen puts a warm hand on his shoulder.

Uh oh...

"Didi, promise me you'll watch it?" XiChen turns those intense eyes like laser beams onto him, pleading via the emotions reflected on their surface.